• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Something new for contractors...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I do find this rather naïve view from someone who appears to be leading the charge in the PS discussion rather disturbing....
    Really, I find it throughly unsurprising. The rest of us know it's a done deal and that we need to get out asap
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
      That's not been my experience.

Client puts together JD, sends to agent. Agent pastes to jobserve. Does a keyword match, quick phone call, Agee's interview time, pays invoices every month.

Don't get me wrong, i am not saying they dont play a role. I see them as being beneficial to the client and they do guarantee quick payment for us. I just have not personally seen any value add above that....which is what makes the OPs original Q so tricky to answer.
      Really?

I've got lots of roles where there is no job description and roles that aren't advertised on the job boards.

Now what did the agency do different there?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        And what work occurred for that agent to receive the job description from the end client.
        Sorry. I don't follow?

Comment

I do find this rather naïve view from someone who appears to be leading the charge in the PS discussion rather disturbing....
          How so?

I'm certainly not leading anything

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Really?

I've got lots of roles where there is no job description and roles that aren't advertised on the job boards.

Now what did the agency do different there?
            That may well be the case in the private sector. I haven't seen much of it in the public sector. When I used to do recruitment, there was a preferred list of 5 or so agents. They all got the same JD and they then posted it (fairly like for like) and sent CVs back.

I have had former clients contact me , which has resulted in them giving a heads up to the agent to keep an eye out for my CV.

I'm genuinely interested if others have had additional 'value add' in some way. Especially if it is something I can look forward to now in the private sector

Comment

Not all PS bodies work the same. Some use Capita CL1, others have preferred agencies just as the private sector do. From experience I know when I contacted my agency about a role they put a load of people forward from their database without the role hitting the boards. Roles for others such as DWP just get farmed to jobserve and appear multiple times from random agencies. Just because one body does something it does not mean the rest do. MoD bringing in the new rules early is a good example.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not all PS bodies work the same. Some use Capita CL1, others have preferred agencies just as the private sector do. From experience I know when I contacted my agency about a role they put a load of people forward from their database without the role hitting the boards. Roles for others such as DWP just get farmed to jobserve and appear multiple times from random agencies. Just because one body does something it does not mean the rest do. MoD bringing in the new rules early is a good example.
                Hence why I said 'in my experience'. Not everyone one here assumes their own experiences are the only experiences and they are always right

Comment

Anyway. As useless as this thread is it isn't a PS thread so back to topic.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Agents have their place. Some clients, you simply cannot go directly to.

They're also a nice risk mitigator; why go on 90 day payment terms directly when you can have far less money at risk through an agency. Good agents are worth every penny.

I've been thinking more about this idea - shouldn't this be pitched at clients rather than contractors? Asking us is like asking taxi drivers which taxi firm is the best; that is, you should be asking the paying customer, not the catalyst.
                    ^^^ THIS ^^^
                    If there is a business in this model this it how it would work.

Unless of course an agency were to setup a site which they can then edit/delete unfavorable reviews of themselves
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      ^^^ THIS ^^^
                      If there is a business in this model this it how it would work.

Unless of course an agency were to setup a site which they can then edit/delete unfavorable reviews of themselves
                      Perish the thought. I couldn't imagine an agent ever being opaque and less than 100% honest.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X