• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

interview, 3 months and still nothing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interview, 3 months and still nothing

Hello everyone,

this is my first post as I am going to step into contracting after being permanent for a couple of years within a big tier 1 inv. bank.

On 18th of May I got an interview in one of the biggest bank in UK for a contract role as developer, the interview went straight and the feeling was really good; then even the recruiter told me the feedback was so good and the manager was happy to get me on board, but I had to wait at least one month because the manager decide to have the interviews even before asking to the HR to open this role/position within the bank.

So that's the main reason because they are keeping delay till ...now! basically have been 3 months since I got the interview and still they are saying the role is going to be released soon but yet I don't have anything tangible and concrete on my side.

From your experience, it could happen this situation or it is something really unusual?

I am not in hurry to get this contract so I can wait, but I don't know what is really happening as I never had to deal with such long waiting!

Thanks for reading and all the answers!

Look for another contract. If you get one while the bank is still dithering - their loss.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Move on. They're just not interested in you

Comment

Move on. Sounds like the same place I'm still waiting on a contract for from a September 2012 job offer.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Wipeout View Post
          Hello everyone,

this is my first post as I am going to step into contracting after being permanent for a couple of years within a big tier 1 inv. bank.
          You want to contract in IB? Couple of people have some opinions on that around here.

On 18th of May I got an interview in one of the biggest bank in UK for a contract role as developer, the interview went straight and the feeling was really good; then even the recruiter told me the feedback was so good and the manager was happy to get me on board, but I had to wait at least one month because the manager decide to have the interviews even before asking to the HR to open this role/position within the bank.
          Don't get hung up on feedback. If they want you you'll know, if they don't.. well you'll know by the deafening silence. The agents work on commission so if you aren't successful you are dead to them. They won't bother picking the phone up to you. Also you are a temp resource, they will deal with 100's. It's easier to give good feedback than bad so 99.999% of what people will tell you is just because it's easy to say and they will never see you again.

Managers interviewing before the post is open? It's not unheard of but agents lying to you just to get rid of you is more common. The excuse might seem feasible but I refer back to my paragraph above. It's easy to give you an excuse than tell you you failed.

So that's the main reason because they are keeping delay till ...now! basically have been 3 months since I got the interview and still they are saying the role is going to be released soon but yet I don't have anything tangible and concrete on my side.

From your experience, it could happen this situation or it is something really unusual?
          This is bread and butter stuff. Happens all the time. You can't get hung up on roles like a permie. You apply, interview, get back home, apply, interview. Rinse and repeat. Until you are sitting at a clients desk on the first day you have absolutely nothing. As I said, don't get hung up on roles. There are 100's of people applying for them, many of them will be very experience contractors which puts you to the back of the queue. You are gonna have to grow some and just keep firing.

I am not in hurry to get this contract so I can wait, but I don't know what is really happening as I never had to deal with such long waiting!
          And that's your first mistake in contracting. You can't do that. Might be ok for your first but your second is harder to get because you will be on the bench with no income. You need to re-think the permie mentality. Every gig can evaporate and you get binned on the spot. Waiting weeks for a gig that might just last a week is a bad move.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Had exactly the same happen just recently, so I went and got something else......in IB.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

thanks for all your answers.

In fact what you are saying it is exactly what I thought from the start when they start to postpone!

The only problem is that I met them almost every three weeks to have a coffee and we spent half an hour basically to be told ... 'please wait and be patient'.

I mean, if the want just keep lying it would be OK (well, not fair but understandable) but why they are spending a lot of time in person/call just keep saying to wait? I think it would be much easier for everyone move on if there is anything really important which is making them to keep chasing me.

Eventually, I would not have any other agency but them do deal with the client if in the future I will get on board ...ergo, I don't think the issue in this case it is the lack of communications between agencies.

ps: even for the permie's one I had to wait 1.5month to sign the contract!
              Last edited by Wipeout; 25 August 2016, 15:01.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the result of a Skype interview I had in March 2014!

Why agents can't just say they don't want you, even when it is by far the easiest thing to do, is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  I'm still waiting for the result of a Skype interview I had in March 2014!

Why agents can't just say they don't want you, even when it is by far the easiest thing to do, is beyond me.
                  If you're in second place, they'll keep you dangling until first place has started and I can understand that. Aside from that, I agree.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Wipeout View Post
                    thanks for all your answers.

In fact what you are saying it is exactly what I thought from the start when they start to postpone!

The only problem is that I met them almost every three weeks to have a coffee and we spent half an hour basically to be told ... 'please wait and be patient'.

I mean, if the want just keep laying it would be OK (well, not fair but understandable) but why they are spending a lot of time in person/call just keep saying to wait? I think it would be much easier for everyone move on if there is anything really important which is making them to keep chasing me.

Eventually, I would not have any other agency but them do deal with the client if in the future I will get on board ...ergo, I don't think the issue in this case it is the lack of communications between agencies.

ps: even for the permie's one I had to wait 1.5month to sign the contract!
                    I was told twice over a period of 4 weeks, they definitely wanted me

Thing is these hiring guys are all tulipping their pants about their own jobs.
                    They still like to sometimes hedge their bets, however, just in case snr managers suddenly decide it's a business critical project
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X