• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mandatory Contractor Furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandatory Contractor Furlough

Agent email just in:

"Good Afternoon,

<clientco> has communicated to us that they are instituting a mandatory furlough to be taken by all non-billable and unit rate billable contractors every quarter throughout the Financial year

For quarter 2 the expectation is that a 5-day Furlough will be taken prior to Friday 30th September 2016 which we understand you have already been advised of by your <clientco> manager.

(Er, no)

Overtime for subcontractor’s subject to furlough will be suspended for the rest of Q2 - Overtime cannot be approved for subcontractors to make up time lost to furlough. It is expected there should be no exceptions to this mandate, but any strong business critical exceptions will be reviewed internally by <clientco>and advised in due course"

Hilarious, unworkable and "complete bollocks" was my clientco managers response.

Of course, by then, most of us were already in the car park, twirling our keys.

Originally posted by BackupBoy View Post
    Agent email just in:

"Good Afternoon,

<clientco> has communicated to us that they are instituting a mandatory furlough to be taken by all non-billable and unit rate billable contractors every quarter throughout the Financial year

For quarter 2 the expectation is that a 5-day Furlough will be taken prior to Friday 30th September 2016 which we understand you have already been advised of by your <clientco> manager.

(Er, no)

Overtime for subcontractor’s subject to furlough will be suspended for the rest of Q2 - Overtime cannot be approved for subcontractors to make up time lost to furlough. It is expected there should be no exceptions to this mandate, but any strong business critical exceptions will be reviewed internally by <clientco>and advised in due course"

Hilarious, unworkable and "complete bollocks" was my clientco managers response.

Of course, by then, most of us were already in the car park, twirling our keys.
    File it for your IR35 defence and carry on.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      File it for your IR35 defence and carry on.
      +1... I can't think of any quarter where I wouldn't have 5 days off... Work to live, not live to work...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

This is common practise in the contracting world, especially around the end of the year, so don't fret about it. Just enjoy the time off.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          +1... I can't think of any quarter where I wouldn't have 5 days off... Work to live, not live to work...
          I don't usually take time off during a contract, and when I do it will only be one or two days, if they are saying I need to take 5 days in a row I will take half term and enjoy it.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            This is common practise in the contracting world, especially around the end of the year, so don't fret about it. Just enjoy the time off.
            I'm not fretting. It's just completely unworkable here.

Comment

That's the joy of being a Contractor, it isn't your problem if it isn't workable. Damagement decision.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                That's the joy of being a Contractor, it isn't your problem if it isn't workable. Damagement decision.
                ^This, keep calm and keep invoicing. Start looking for a new gig if it bug you so much. The mandatory time off will allow you to attend interviews.

Comment

IR35 defence plus - almost a silver bullet in terms of being treated differently.

As for unworkable, it's up to your manager to get overtime authorised for you. Budget for the five days out and take it from there.

I've got to take two weeks out by the end of the year. I've figured one of them out already.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Pretty standard where I am currently, albeit the number of days, whether they have to be consecutive and the amount of notice given varies depending upon the direction of the wind, company share price, recent fines/criminal investigations, market volatility and a host of other reasons that make it near impossible to predict.

My strategy:
                    - schedule the time off when it works for me, or if I don't have any need to take it, schedule it for the last possible week
                    - use the time to have a much needed but oft overlooked holiday
                    - put a bit more effort into my other (part time) clients

It is frustrating when there are deadlines to be met but ultimately if my client wants to make stupid decisions to meet short term internal financial targets I'll let them.

Comment

Working...
                    X