• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract review beyond IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract review beyond IR35

Hi,

I have secured my first direct contract and the client has offered and issued the contract quicker than expected, I had planned to issue my own. The contract seems quite light touch (6 pages) compared to previous contracts /qdos & IPSE templates.

Most people have contracts reviewed from an IR35 perspective but what about from a general legal perspective?

Thanks
    Last edited by TheBA; 18 August 2016, 22:49.

Nobody stops you form having a sollicitor reviewing your contract, but don't think many people ever done that. I read the legal stuff myself and if there's anything I don't like I tell the agent. If you're not sure or comfortable get a specilaist, I've seen a few extreme things so it may be worth doing it.But in that case also have NDC's reviewed before signing it.

Comment

Thanks, I'm fair new so little experience of reading contracts.

My main concern is the contract isn't specific enough but I'm not sure where to start.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBA View Post
        My main concern is the contract isn't specific enough but I'm not sure where to start.
        Does it say, in clear English, what you are expected to do, what you expect them to do, payment terms, dispute resolution and termination clauses?

There's not a lot more needed. If you go to a solicitor (which is the best thing to do) you'll cough up a few thousand. And in reality a contract should stay in the drawer unless you fall out. I've been to court over a contract dispute and the judge just reads it an interprets it in English.

Your really best bet is to simply take an IPSE template contract and offer that back to the client, pointing out that it provides them additional protection as well as clarifying the freelance relationship in a more proven way.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Getting a solicitor to review your contracts doesn't cost a few thousand pounds - if you are an IPSE member contact Abbey Tax, if not all the solicitors who write articles for the main part of the site will review it. Phone them up ask them the cost and how long it will take as your main issue is finding someone who can review it in a couple of days.

Also shorter contracts are actually easier to read and have a tendency to have limited stupid non-enforceable clauses that agencies like to slip in e.g. saying that Health and Safety Regulations don't apply or are limited when absolutely no one can do that in English and Welsh law.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Nobody stops you form having a sollicitor reviewing your contract, but don't think many people ever done that. I read the legal stuff myself and if there's anything I don't like I tell the agent. If you're not sure or comfortable get a specilaist, I've seen a few extreme things so it may be worth doing it.But in that case also have NDC's reviewed before signing it.
            Agree - I also have both my accountant and QDOS review any new contracts I am seeking to sign up to.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Getting a solicitor to review your contracts doesn't cost a few thousand pounds
              Sorry. I meant that being the cost to have one written, rather than reviewed. It has been 15 years since I had one done and it wasn't a freelance contractor contract either.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by TheBA View Post
                Hi,

I have secured my first direct contract and the client has offered and issued the contract quicker than expected, I had planned to issue my own. The contract seems quite light touch (6 pages) compared to previous contracts /qdos & IPSE templates.

Most people have contracts reviewed from an IR35 perspective but what about from a general legal perspective?

Thanks
                From a contract review stance I use Bauer & Cottrell, if you have legal issues make sure you have max PI insurance (very cheap, round about £100 a year for 10mill or so). If the contract is direct you are fully within your rights to issue your own terms & conditions. I do this all the time. If there is any conflict between your terms and theirs, sort it out. In 90% of cases there will be no need to pay for legal representation to resolve, a simple conversation will suffice.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Sorry. I meant that being the cost to have one written, rather than reviewed. It has been 15 years since I had one done and it wasn't a freelance contractor contract either.
                  Hence the cost - a contractor can use an IPSE template.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Hence the cost - a contractor can use an IPSE template.
                    https://www.ipse.co.uk/guides-and-to...ract-templates
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X