• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accepting another contract due to delay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see this as an issue. I waited for clearance for a contract once, turned up on day one to be told I couldn't come on site because of some admin issue. Agent told me that client still wanted me but didn't know how long it would be, even advised me to look for other contracts -they took too long and I accepted another contract. Of course, they then sorted themselves out but by then I had been waiting 60 days for them!

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      You are legally bound.

not to the as yet unsigned contract of course, but to whatever the constucted verbal contract is. Given verbal contracts are worth the paper they are not written on it is a matter for negotiation or legal determination.

A sensible option might be to wait until actually installed in the alternative and then tell the first you are withdrawing. Expect some bluster from them.
      Given that there is an unknown delay to that initial verbal contract, it sounds like the recruiter has broken it.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        You are legally bound.

not to the as yet unsigned contract of course, but to whatever the constucted verbal contract is. Given verbal contracts are worth the paper they are not written on it is a matter for negotiation or legal determination.
        Where as I am one of the ones that normally trots this line out I think this case is different. The agreement has a couple of fundamental points being rate duration and start date. There is now no start date which also puts the duration in to question I'd be happy to argue the agreement has broken down (it's in breach if that is possible for a verbal agreement) so I'd say he's got nothing.

There is also the reality spin where there is no way they would even consider a legal avenue.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Where as I am one of the ones that normally trots this line out I think this case is different. The agreement has a couple of fundamental points being rate duration and start date. There is now no start date which also puts the duration in to question I'd be happy to argue the agreement has broken down (it's in breach if that is possible for a verbal agreement) so I'd say he's got nothing.

There is also the reality spin where there is no way they would even consider a legal avenue.
          The written contract has clearly failed to materialise from the verbal one on which it was meant to have been based. I see no comebacks on this.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Ok, who's hacked NLUK's account?

I think what he meant to say was:

As soon as you've even so much as given a slight indication - perhaps as small as a wink or a nervous facial tick - to either the agent or the client that you'll accept the unmaterialised contract, you're in lifelong indentured servitude to the agent & client. At this point, attempting to change your mind and get out of it is unprofessional and the actions of a "maverick" and the contractor fraternity can do without the likes of you sullying their good name, thank you very much.

Comment

What do you mean by confirm the contract?

The client accepted your services and he needs to confirm the terms of condition of the contract or the client didn't confirmed that you are in?

If it's the 2nd option move on. You will not be considered unprofessional.

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
              Hi! I'm new to contracting, and I have a question about whether a recent decision I made was professionally advisable.

Last month I got a couple of offers through two different recruiters. I chose one, confirmed my preference with both recruiters and waited for the contract to come through, expecting to start next week.

Yesterday, the recruiter called to say that there was a problem: the person who was meant to confirm my contract on the client's end was now on holiday until next Tuesday. There was also something about them having to review their recent contract offers to make sure they still aligned with the budget.

The outcome was that my start date would now be delayed by an unknown duration and there was a small, but non-zero, chance that the contract would not materialise—and I wouldn't know either for sure until next week.

Ultimately, I called the other recruiter and am now moving forward with the other offer. My questions are:
              • Would this generally be considered unprofessional given that I already verbally accepted the first offer? Or is a change in start date and unknown chance that it could be withdrawn a reasonable basis for reconsidering?
              • Did I act prematurely? The original offer meant more money, interesting technologies and a higher-profile client. I seriously considered waiting, but decided to prioritise a concrete offer starting immediately over something that now seemed uncertain.

Any input would be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                What do you mean by confirm the contract?

The client accepted your services and he needs to confirm the terms of condition of the contract or the client didn't confirmed that you are in?

If it's the 2nd option move on. You will not be considered unprofessional.
                What's it got to do with the client. Your engagement is with the agency. You have no relationship with the client.

And can you put your comment after the quote, not before please.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  Ok, who's hacked NLUK's account?

I think what he meant to say was:

As soon as you've even so much as given a slight indication - perhaps as small as a wink or a nervous facial tick - to either the agent or the client that you'll accept the unmaterialised contract, you're in lifelong indentured servitude to the agent & client. At this point, attempting to change your mind and get out of it is unprofessional and the actions of a "maverick" and the contractor fraternity can do without the likes of you sullying their good name, thank you very much.
                  Nailed it.

Comment

What's it got to do with the client. Your engagement is with the agency. You have no relationship with the client.

And can you put your comment after the quote, not before please.
                    Everything, we don't know if it's the contract between the agency and the client and obvious will affect the agency and the contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                      Everything, we don't know if it's the contract between the agency and the client and obvious will affect the agency and the contractor.
                      Which is none of your business.

Comment

Working...
                      X