• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accepting another contract due to delay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    And did you?
    No. The first contract was in Edinburgh which is a nightmare to get to. The rate was ok but the discussions were more around off site working.

The one I took was very central London and an easy walk from Kings X. Similar rate but none of the travel issues. Not remotely worth leaving for.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
      Huge, huge thanks for the very helpful responses. I really appreciate everyone who took the time to offer their seasoned advice!

It seems, for the most part, that this is unlikely to be considered unprofessional or in breach of a verbal contract, which is a huge relief—and furthermore, that I should take this as a lesson not to take anything as a given until the contract is signed.

Since there's some discussion about the nature of my verbal agreement, let me try to flesh it out a bit. The recruiter for the first client called to let me know that the client was happy to proceed with the rate discussed, and asked if I would accept the contract. (Which I did.)

The timeframe outlined for a contract being sent was within two or three days of the offer. Further information about the delayed start date and need for review on the client's side came a week later.

My guess, albeit uneducated, is that this doesn't count as a verbal contract as such—my biggest concern was really that I would be acting outside of professional norms rather than in breach of a legally-binding agreement.
      OP, a good way of dealing with this for the future is to make your "opening gambit" specifically "subject to contract". Then you are fine. They could attempt to argue subsequent verbals are binding but it would be a struggle.

Something like:-

Darling pimp,

thank you for introducing me to your client wombles plc. I feel the initial meeting was constructive and would, subject to contract, be interested in working further with them.
      Last edited by ASB; 19 August 2016, 16:36.

Comment

Working...
      X