• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Currency risk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currency risk

I'm looking at opportunities to bring in some contractors from UK and sell them on in Ireland with a reasonable mark-up. The likelihood is that I would need to buy the services in GBP and sell in EUR. I can try to pass on the currency risk to contractors or client but that may not be a goer.

What are my other options to manage risk of currency fluctuation? Transfer a portion of cash reserve from EUR to GBP account up front? Are there any products out there that allow me to insure that anyone could recommend?

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I'm looking at opportunities to bring in some contractors from UK and sell them on in Ireland with a reasonable mark-up. The likelihood is that I would need to buy the services in GBP and sell in EUR. I can try to pass on the currency risk to contractors or client but that may not be a goer.

What are my other options to manage risk of currency fluctuation? Transfer a portion of cash reserve from EUR to GBP account up front? Are there any products out there that allow me to insure that anyone could recommend?

Why not buy the services in EUR, pass the risk on.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If I was engaging a client in Ireland I would expect the currency to be Euros.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Why not buy the services in EUR, pass the risk on.
        Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
        Thanks for the views. I will give it a go, but I want to consider other options as well. One good thing is that nothing will be signed in advance of the referendum.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          True, but a lot of contractors will probably go no thanks. To get the people you want you may need to pay in £....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            True, but a lot of contractors will probably go no thanks. To get the people you want you may need to pay in £....
            Exactly. And it's not that I have a role to fill that I can go out and advertise (or at least I don't want to). I have some people with very specific skills that I am looking to sell.

Comment

My quick research shows that the few smaller advanced purchase foreign exchange companies went belly up when the market moved against them...

I think the best you can do is guess an appropriate exchange rate say 1.30euro and provide yourself with plenty of leeway...

Comment

You may not have the cashflow for this and the circumstances are slightly different as the events were one off rather than ongoing but I had a mate years ago who used to book and promote American blues acts for gigs in the UK and he would buy his dollars (to pay the acts) on the day the deals and contracts were confirmed. Sometimes he won from doing that and sometimes he lost, although I would guess you're not enough of a 'playa' to do that with long term contracts.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

What you can do is to hedge risk by buying options on currency for a small fee at the time of entering contract with them. I won't go into detail , but you can do this on interactive brokers platform

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    You may not have the cashflow for this and the circumstances are slightly different as the events were one off rather than ongoing but I had a mate years ago who used to book and promote American blues acts for gigs in the UK and he would buy his dollars (to pay the acts) on the day the deals and contracts were confirmed. Sometimes he won from doing that and sometimes he lost, although I would guess you're not enough of a 'playa' to do that with long term contracts.
                    A lot of those providers went belly up in 2011. A lot of others closed once they discovered the true level of risk involved.

Comment

Working...
                    X