• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

noobs elusive 1st contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjoe View Post
    Have a master CV now ready to tailor.

Of the 10 versions, which one do you decide to keep searchable on the boards?
    I have a general all-round CV, with major focus on what I enjoy most. If they then contact me and we go into details on a role, I can start hacking down the master cv to suit the job. Rather than 10 cvs, 1 master, 1 simple and the rest bespoke for role specs is the way I work. If I was you, based on this thread, I'd go with a master, a PM and a PMO cv to start with and then you can tailor the master to suit any roles that the others don't fit.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Sorry for stating the FTC. The only reason I said it is because it will show he has been contracting on his CV. The new gig won't need to know that he was a FTC, just say Contractor and say a daily rate.

It is a sacrifice to become more appealing. I did it when I started and it paid off. Also did a few other things slightly more immoral, also paid off.

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
        Sorry for stating the FTC. The only reason I said it is because it will show he has been contracting on his CV. The new gig won't need to know that he was a FTC, just say Contractor and say a daily rate.

It is a sacrifice to become more appealing. I did it when I started and it paid off. Also did a few other things slightly more immoral, also paid off.
        Say Contractor and find out via reference check that he was an FTC employee? What a trusting way to start a business relationship. Better establish yourself as an out and out contractor rather than the permietractor mindset that you seem to be pushing him towards.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

no one states a rate in a CV for each contract.

You can just say "interim" for the FTC

Comment

Sorry for stating the FTC. The only reason I said it is because it will show he has been contracting on his CV.
            If it did he would be lying. FTC is a contract if employment and has nothing to do with contracting.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              no one states a rate in a CV for each contract.

You can just say "interim" for the FTC
              Or you can say nothing.

I had many agents presume my last permie job was a contract.

I only corrected people if asked directly.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
                For most contractors I've met over the years, I think they usually have the first one lined up before making the leap from permiedom, often through contacts at their current employer (or competitor).

Sometimes it's finding the second one that can be tricky!

HTH.
                I think finding a contract whilst still a permie on a notice longer than 4 weeks would be close to impossible these days. I also resigned from my previous job before taking the plunge - I had a 7 week notice and although my cv was getting attention the conversations I had with agents were really short when I dropped my notice period. I managed to find my first contract 2 weeks after my last day but I think I was a bit lucky..

There's a lot of competition out there and permies are a much higher risk as quite often they can be persuaded to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  The real glory days were when it was a genuine finish Friday, start Monday, rate increases without asking in case you fancied clearing off, as soon a you finish a role, phone rings it's knackers off, no real need to look for a role, faxing timesheets, typing invoices, actually posting stuff in a postbox, easily outsmarting HMRC and VAT people, no need for building access, no compliance, 486SX25 desktop or IBM PS/2, DEC TeamLinks, 10Base2, jumpers for goalposts, three rings when you get there, stray dogs, manual chokes and Pounds, Shillings and Pence....
                  Oddly, reads like a Radiohead lyric

Comment

Originally posted by StillBreathing View Post
                    I think finding a contract whilst still a permie on a notice longer than 4 weeks would be close to impossible these days. I also resigned from my previous job before taking the plunge - I had a 7 week notice and although my cv was getting attention the conversations I had with agents were really short when I dropped my notice period. I managed to find my first contract 2 weeks after my last day but I think I was a bit lucky..

There's a lot of competition out there and permies are a much higher risk as quite often they can be persuaded to stay.
                    Just lie to the agency about the notice period or say something along the lines of "normally they are willing to let people go within 4 weeks", if you have a successful interview and they really really want you, you explain the situation and they are most of the time willing to wait a few weeks extra.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      Just lie to the agency about the notice period or say something along the lines of "normally they are willing to let people go within 4 weeks", if you have a successful interview and they really really want you, you explain the situation and they are most of the time willing to wait a few weeks extra.
                      And when you do this and the gig evaporates a week before you start because they found someone immediately available please come and moan about it on here so I can laugh my tits off.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X