• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LPM

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      I think we do know

By year end the market will be worse as Christmas contractor shutdown

Will pick up a tiny bit by March (but thousands more people looking)

By June next year, big bosses will have finally realised a £600 day java programmer (insert any contractor title here) they previously “needed on site 9-5 Mon to Fri” can be a Java programmer from st perterburgh or Lithuania at £198 a day (all in costs) as everyone still working from home

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      You won't get anything decent for "198" in neither St Peterburg nor Lithuania.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
        You won't get anything decent for "198" in neither St Peterburg nor Lithuania.
        Last year I would agree (more than double) , that’s the rate from the team I just stood up 6 weeks ago, scrum team is between 198 (java guys) to 400 (product owner and SM) etc

Comment

I think we do know

By year end the market will be worse as Christmas contractor shutdown

Will pick up a tiny bit by March (but thousands more people looking)

By June next year, big bosses will have finally realised a £600 day java programmer (insert any contractor title here) they previously “needed on site 9-5 Mon to Fri” can be a Java programmer from st perterburgh or Lithuania at £198 a day (all in costs) as everyone still working from home

Yeah quite possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
            Yeah quite possible.
            If the economy deteriorates that much, it will be the least of our worries... by that time we’ll have 1/3 of businesses bankrupt, 10% mortgage defaults and people stealing food en masse from supermarkets.
            Simiar to ‘08 I would expect banks to still have skeletons in their closets, and now the corporate world is over leveraged as well. For how long can the BoE print money and buy sub par financial products without any consequence? We don’t know.
            Looking at bloomber headlines, stock market seems “to want to go higher” while the housing market inflation is at about 5%. It makes no sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
              If the economy deteriorates that much, it will be the least of our worries... by that time we’ll have 1/3 of businesses bankrupt, 10% mortgage defaults and people stealing food en masse from supermarkets.
              Simiar to ‘08 I would expect banks to still have skeletons in their closets, and now the corporate world is over leveraged as well. For how long can the BoE print money and buy sub par financial products without any consequence? We don’t know.
              Looking at bloomber headlines, stock market seems “to want to go higher” while the housing market inflation is at about 5%. It makes no sense at all.
              I just finished watching this video. I knew things were pretty bad, but didn't realise it was that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                The answer is simple money we have free money with 0% interest rate AND unlimited money supply. Think about how much money the additional loans, furlough scheme, stimulus check have added to the economy... they ended up in the stock and housing market
                Last edited by cwah; 10 October 2020, 20:57.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                  They have been trying to outsource work to india and Poland for 20 years without success

Believe it or not some places are actually bringing back work from offshore to onshore.

So no I don’t buy this argument that stuff moves to Russia.
                  theres a bank in scotland where the canteen is 80% indians, and its a biiiiig canteen

that said, some of my best work mates are indians

Comment

Originally posted by CynicalBroccoli View Post
                    I just finished watching this video. I knew things were pretty bad, but didn't realise it was that bad.
                    Originally posted by cwah View Post
                    The answer is simple money we have free money with 0% interest rate AND unlimited money supply. Think about how much money the additional loans, furlough scheme, stimulus check have added to the economy... they ended up in the stock and housing market
                    Shhht before we trigger the old farts around here. The economy has been working quite well for them and they'll be very quick to put us in our place and tell us to: WORK HARDER!

The real question for me is: With all these in mind how can you take a 40k job that you are required to be: very skilled, work 10h/d, deal with company politics and all the precious specimens that we've all encountered and still at the same time have some dignity, get some fulfilment, feel that you are treated fair. While most of your salary goes on rent and you can't potentially imagine reaching a time in your life when you are free from that hell.
                    It is true that the true pursue in life is not money but how can you have peace of mind and feel contempt when everything is rotten around you?

Comment

Last year I would agree (more than double) , that’s the rate from the team I just stood up 6 weeks ago, scrum team is between 198 (java guys) to 400 (product owner and SM) etc

As I said the outsources are desperate for work and have cut rates to the bone...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X