• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnM View Post
    Just focusing on developers there are contracts out there it has not completely fell off a cliff I have had the choice of three over the last couple of weeks however rates have definitely dropped with £400-450 a day now the max you are going to get non financial services even in London

I guess its about holding your nerve, this is covid related, not IR35/outsourced IT etc and will pick up over the next 6-12 months

Obviously we have the IR35 changes in April, however I would not throw in the towel just yet (developers) and would wait and see how the next 6-12 months work out

I don't think we are going to have the moonscape in contracting a lot on here talk about next year, I think there will be plenty of work for contractors. Outsourcing does not suit most companies who want devs to work with their own internal teams, even the bigger ones who do oustource a project like to have a senior dev/architect working onshore to mange this for them

To much negativity on these boards, yes times are hard but imagine being a restaurant worker, barman in a pub or crowd steward at a football ground

We (IT Dev contractors) have led a pretty privileged life for the last 20 years in terms of work, even now there were over 2000 perm developer jobs posted last week,and 250 contracts that is a lot more than huge swathes of our economy are seeing

My advice to any contract developer is to wait till this time next year before going perm if you can
    Did you take one of those contracts? I probably would, rather than holding out for another 100 a day that may never materialize.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      What other gigs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      There are gigs out there... even taking concurrent tulipty ones like that is an option. Subcontracting is an option I've taken advantage of, contacting previous clients to look for small units of work they need doing etc. Crappy paid freelancer.com gigs... all adds up, keeps you busy.

EDIT: Jobboards definitely picking up from what I've seen. Even seen ads asking for people *capable* of getting SC rather than demanding current SC.
      Last edited by perplexed; 13 August 2020, 08:38.

Comment

I have seen the opposite of that with 90% being outside. Do you apply for a lot public sector roles ?
        Nope, all private sector.

However I'm non-IT in financial services.

Obviously we can't compare job fields, but I was just highlighting my experience in the broad context of the financial services industry.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          Did you take one of those contracts? I probably would, rather than holding out for another 100 a day that may never materialize.
          yes of course, I am based in the North West so £400 p/d is fine for me

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
            There are gigs out there... even taking concurrent tulipty ones like that is an option. Subcontracting is an option I've taken advantage of, contacting previous clients to look for small units of work they need doing etc. Crappy paid freelancer.com gigs... all adds up, keeps you busy.

EDIT: Jobboards definitely picking up from what I've seen. Even seen ads asking for people *capable* of getting SC rather than demanding current SC.

The boards are picking up a bit but still at an all time low - I have been doing this for 20 years now, never known so few roles get posted, however this is covID related nothing else and will pick up going forward month by month

We are over the worst

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
              Nope, all private sector.

However I'm non-IT in financial services.

Obviously we can't compare job fields, but I was just highlighting my experience in the broad context of the financial services industry.

It must be a financial services thing then unfortunately as all of the other private sector areas and doing outside IR35 contracts

Comment

Agent got in touch for a role at a client I worked at in 2019.

Same role, day rate is £150 per day LESS than 1 year ago. That's the state of the market.

Comment

their taking the biscuit

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
                    gonna upload to cv jobs now (again)and report back to my fam
                    nothing back so far from my stellar cv upload

Comment

Just focusing on developers there are contracts out there it has not completely fell off a cliff I have had the choice of three over the last couple of weeks however rates have definitely dropped with £400-450 a day now the max you are going to get non financial services even in London

I guess its about holding your nerve, this is covid related, not IR35/outsourced IT etc and will pick up over the next 6-12 months

Obviously we have the IR35 changes in April, however I would not throw in the towel just yet (developers) and would wait and see how the next 6-12 months work out

I don't think we are going to have the moonscape in contracting a lot on here talk about next year, I think there will be plenty of work for contractors. Outsourcing does not suit most companies who want devs to work with their own internal teams, even the bigger ones who do oustource a project like to have a senior dev/architect working onshore to mange this for them

To much negativity on these boards, yes times are hard but imagine being a restaurant worker, barman in a pub or crowd steward at a football ground

We (IT Dev contractors) have led a pretty privileged life for the last 20 years in terms of work, even now there were over 2000 perm developer jobs posted last week,and 250 contracts that is a lot more than huge swathes of our economy are seeing

My advice to any contract developer is to wait till this time next year before going perm if you can
                      Good point - there is only a certain client size market that the big firms like TCS, Wipro, Infosys etc go for. Maybe longer term, contractors will need to be more flexible on working for medium and even small size firms.

Comment

Working...
                      X