• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the motivation. Im still in a contract - finishing next week!

Just looking around in advance of finishing up for last couple of weeks.

Had 2 x 2 month contracts this year so not too bad. Shame they werent longer though. Just as building up decent momentum - out again.

I need the 'mortage project' now - that good day rate that drags on for a year and a half. Been saying that for 4 years now though!

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
    Don’t give up, keep plugging away there are roles out there!

I was saying the same two weeks ago when my phone wasn’t ringing while looking at the same roles over and over on the job boards. I was ready to face the New Year on the bench but I’ve now landed a gig.

Just be relentless

Comment

It ain't half quiet mum.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        For those intending to jump ship because of IR35 this will give you an idea of how the market is

Email this morning

Hi,

Firstly, apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this role. We have had over 600 responses and so realistically I am not going to be able to call everyone individually, but I wanted to get in touch to thank you for your application.

Since my original email the client has provided more detail on the role and so please find the final information below. If you are still interested based on the this, please get back to me and (depending on the number of responses) I will give you a call to discuss.

Wow will soon be in the thousands

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        Sent the agent a witty reply about only 600 in for this role, he replied it was out with 5 other agencies

Comment

Start a new gig tomorrow (in a contract now but leaving) and my phone hasn't rung for any other contracts for weeks - usually getting two or three calls per day at least for a niche market.

This gig is three months then will see what the future holds. Don't fancy going perm but may be forced into it.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbantz View Post
            Start a new gig tomorrow (in a contract now but leaving) and my phone hasn't rung for any other contracts for weeks - usually getting two or three calls per day at least for a niche market.

This gig is three months then will see what the future holds. Don't fancy going perm but may be forced into it.
            Nice one sir

Bananas

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
              The friday joker calls, the bob agencies, the recruiters who want a friend to talk to for a while, the bottom feeder roles offering little more than a good brickie - this is what the bottom looks like.

good news is that when it bounces it will be a solid bounce.

old hands will be reading books and doing certs, newbies will be trawling through netflix clicking refresh on jobserve every 30 seconds although, having heard and seen the state of the market this week the latter probably describes the contract recruitment desks of most agencies right now.
              Seems like dead period again. Not a single call today apart from one that I initiated and usually in my experience Tuesdays are busiest days for recruiter calls.
              Monday couple of calls complete waste of my time
              3 months on the bench time to hit the books.

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Bench time and having to deal with agents is the real low point of contracting. I've had 3 periods of it (4, 5 and 5 months) so I know what it feels like. Those of you on the bench, frustrated, you have my empathies.

Comment

What's bench time? Surely it's time to either indulge in your hobbies or work on plan b...

It's now late November - once this weekend has passed my advice would be to go and find something else until mid January.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    What's bench time? Surely it's time to either indulge in your hobbies or work on plan b...

It's now late November - once this weekend has passed my advice would be to go and find something else until mid January.
                    On paper this sounds like good advice but it's hard to relax when you know you need to find work.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                      On paper this sounds like good advice but it's hard to relax when you know you need to find work.
                      I know it's hard work and not something you may be able to do, but you can either fret for 6 weeks or accept it and enjoy a stress free Christmas.

Now I'm not saying don't look but have zero expectations when you look and don't waste much time on it. Spend 10 minutes at lunchtime and then call it quits.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X