• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gables View Post

Hey Dude, is this from experience or hearsay? And are you talking main stream banks? Ta
    I have only been perm at one US bank and they expected you to be available at almost any time if something went wrong. I have contracted at other US and European banks and this also seems to be the case for my colleagues.

Staff in India tend to get the worst of it and are expected to attend meetings at 8pm-10pm there time.
    Last edited by TheDude; 9 February 2024, 13:45.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I have only been perm at one US bank and they expected you to be available at almost any time if something went wrong. I have contracted at other US and European banks and this also seems to be the case for my colleagues.

This in India tend to get the worst of it and are expected to attend meetings at 8pm-10pm there time.
      Worked for a European clearing bank years ago, which was part owned by a well known American consultancy. So a lot of Americans on site. Never seen anything like it, people were often threatened with the sack during meetings if they disagreed with anything. So a lot of cringey awkward moments. But the worse experience was when the head of IT picked up a phone and threw it at somebody.
      Last edited by avonleigh; 9 February 2024, 11:24.

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

But the worse experience was when the head of IT picked up a phone and threw it at somebody.
        How did that end? I've always said engineering is a breading ground for mental people, but never seen anything like that

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

How did that end? I've always said engineering is a breading ground for mental people, but never seen anything like that
          Don't think he ever got in trouble for it. This was back in 2001. The consultancy was Perot Systems, they aren't around anymore. No wonder from my experiences with them.

Comment

Don't think he ever got in trouble for it. This was back in 2001. The consultancy was Perot Systems, they aren't around anymore. No wonder from my experiences with them.
            Dell brought them.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Worked for a European clearing bank years ago, which was part owned by a well known American consultancy. So a lot of Americans on site. Never seen anything like it, people were often threatened with the sack during meetings if they disagreed with anything. So a lot of cringey awkward moments. But the worse experience was when the head of IT picked up a phone and threw it at somebody.
              I could never understand people working for companies like that. I've got plenty of friends who made a lot of money contracting in investment banking in that era but TBH it just sounded awful despite the huge money offered.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Dell brought them.
                Where?

Comment

Out of the blue today a contract spec. appeared in my inbox. That hasn't happened for years, literally! Fingers crossed it's the first of many.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                    Out of the blue today a contract spec. appeared in my inbox. That hasn't happened for years, literally! Fingers crossed it's the first of many.
                    I've been noticing a slight uptick in my inbox - may just be a dead cat bounce, we'll see

Comment

I hope a GDP related post is on-topic enough for a 'State of the market' thread! If not, apologies and I'm happy to put it in the General section.

The only reason we're only in a 'technical recession' as opposed to a 'recession' is continued growth in population through Sunak's mass legal immigration. GDP per capita has been negative for a good few quarters now, -0.7% over 2023.

So if you don't feel it when Sunak/Hunt proclaim that the UK economy has 'turned a corner', you're probably right!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240215-080812-172.png
Views:	899
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	4284607

Comment

Working...
                      X