• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Oddly my rate has been quite good over the last year and I would have had a quick turnaround between two contracts had sign off and Christmas not got in the way. In both instances the agent came to me though.

I will probably be out for six months next time out but maybe we are beginning to see the contractor field thin out in some sectors?
    Lucky to have found a new role after just 1 week on the bench (Outside again), but my rate is now £100 less than last time I worked at the client back in 2019!

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    This years April bounce doest seem to have been as strong or long as last years.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by sreed View Post

Care to share the listing? That has to be a mistake, I can’t recall ever having seen any inside contract that pays £120 a day!

Working backwards from net pay, that translates into a PAYE salary of around 21k or so which (even for a 35 hour week) is just above min wage!
    Yes it's vanished (the listing I saw) - it's appeared on totaljobs as £660 a day.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
    The rates are actually good, even though market is slow, which I know seems anomalous.
    I'm at an FS client and there are plenty of people on 1000+ Umbrella rate (not me I hasten to add). The posh coffee shops (coffee 4 to 15 quid!) are doing a roaring trade.

it depends hugely on previous experience specific to that client, if you have it they pay top dollar. Worth more than 20 years at the fabled "top tier" IBs
    Oddly my rate has been quite good over the last year and I would have had a quick turnaround between two contracts had sign off and Christmas not got in the way. In both instances the agent came to me though.

I will probably be out for six months next time out but maybe we are beginning to see the contractor field thin out in some sectors?

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    Originally posted by tsmith View Post
    I applied to 100 jobs using a resume with the name, "Kismma D. Nhuhts" and I got 29 interviews.

https://twitter.com/JerryJHLee/statu...84920593055763

Takeaway - As long as you have big name companies on your CV nobody reads the rest - that or interviews are much easier to come by in San Francisco

Maybe Ill try and apply for a few stateside to test
    That Twitter thread made my day, lol

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Got a message from an agent in San Diego - they need a Workday UK payroll person (this is my niche) for an immediate start to do 50 hours a month. That'd be great if I was free but I have 3 month notice period and he didn't mention rates.

Meanwhile there's a gig on linkedin - 6 months 3 days a week in Brentford 2 days remote for £600. Looked great until I notice the £600 is a week, inside.

I don't know if there are suddenly a lot of cheap contractors around or clients are just being weird.
    Care to share the listing? That has to be a mistake, I can’t recall ever having seen any inside contract that pays £120 a day!

Working backwards from net pay, that translates into a PAYE salary of around 21k or so which (even for a 35 hour week) is just above min wage!

Leave a comment:

• tsmith
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

Agents / clients might be trying it on to see how low they can go, if there's a lot of people who are desperate for anything, someone will eventually bite. Besides that seems to be the case with perm positions in mainland Europe, they open up a perm position, post a job ad with a set of skills and have a budget in mind, then they ask you how much you'd want to earn, if you go outside the budget, they simply stick you on the list of "too expensive for now". If they can't get anyone, they increase the budget (assuming they can do so), if they get people with partial skill matches, they look at what is crucial and whether it's enough. If it is, they fill the position with a reasonable skills to pay ration and call it a day.
    Im seeing 90% of roles with 'state salary requirements' - 10 years ago it was maybe 10%. Times have changed. How long before its 35k for a senior XYZ role in London?

I try and put 'market rates' if theres no integer only check

Woman actually called me about a role I applied for with this approach - 'you put market rates - the role is paying £55k 6 months FTC'

I said can you do £60k? - She said no

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Got a message from an agent in San Diego - they need a Workday UK payroll person (this is my niche) for an immediate start to do 50 hours a month. That'd be great if I was free but I have 3 month notice period and he didn't mention rates.

Meanwhile there's a gig on linkedin - 6 months 3 days a week in Brentford 2 days remote for £600. Looked great until I notice the £600 is a week, inside.

I don't know if there are suddenly a lot of cheap contractors around or clients are just being weird.
    Agents / clients might be trying it on to see how low they can go, if there's a lot of people who are desperate for anything, someone will eventually bite. Besides that seems to be the case with perm positions in mainland Europe, they open up a perm position, post a job ad with a set of skills and have a budget in mind, then they ask you how much you'd want to earn, if you go outside the budget, they simply stick you on the list of "too expensive for now". If they can't get anyone, they increase the budget (assuming they can do so), if they get people with partial skill matches, they look at what is crucial and whether it's enough. If it is, they fill the position with a reasonable skills to pay ration and call it a day.

Leave a comment:

• tsmith
    replied

with time difference can you do both at once?

people are accepting lower salaries no doubt

linkedin have got more aggressive with their paywall now it seems. one free message - a week or day or something - with a connection now - then subsequent i need to pay to message and connect withe people

SMH - this nonsense just gets more and more annoying.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X