• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Afraid I agree with you here and I just couldn't do it
    Personally i would only work half ashard on 275 a day gig vs a 550 a day one. Client gets what they pay for in these days of WFH.

I can spend 2 hour a day 'thinking' about a problem and 5 hours a day coding up the solution. Or I can do it the other way around as well. The second approach might actually produce a better solution for the client in some cases. And thinking time doesn't have to tied to your desk

Like Gene Hackman tells Tom Cruise in The Firm, even thinking about the Client while in the bath is billable.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 25 January 2024, 18:54.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
      So everyone is saying 'good move' to this guy accepting 275 a day.

Then in other threads we bash contractors for doing exactly this because they're bringing down rates for everyone else.

Can you please make up your mind?
      As a skilled professional, what jobs to do and how much you would do it for is purely an individual choice, nothing right or wrong about it and there's certainly no need to think about the 'rest of us'.

Comment

Then in other threads we bash contractors for doing exactly this because they're bringing down rates for everyone else.

I didn't post a reply but when I read it I was thinking, no way would I work for that rate. However that's me and I have a bit of a war chest so I don't get so desperate that I would need to accept this rate which is half of my current. This guys situation might be different but if he waited 2 months then got £500 a day after 4 months contract he would be up overall quite a bit vs the £275.

6 months at £275 : £33K
        2 months off then 4 months at £500: £40k

(assuming 20 day months)

Comment

Phew 6 months extension confirmed, so as they say booooomed

Comment

All your comments are generally right and up for discussion but are certainly not a hard fact as you have presented them.[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by dsc View Post
            Phew 6 months extension confirmed, so as they say booooomed
            Congrats and well done.

Comment

Clearly a good move for the person involved as they needed a contract and landed one at a rate which is acceptable for them. Who cares about "bringing down rates for everyone else" if you need the money?

Also, two things, the market seems flooded with people willing to take less, so standing your ground at this stage and not accepting the reality will lead you nowhere. Second thing is that this might be a perm job converted to a contract to get around a hiring freeze, so not really a "true" consultancy agreement, hence the rate.

Comment

It was an eye opener reading opinions about £275 daily rate which is also half of my usual rate. My initial mental reaction was "No way, I wouldn't even get out of bed for that rate! Let me wait till April". My pride/ego reacted first. Then I thought "I can do this job with eyes closed. Even if I work for just an hour a day, I can complete one user story per day". This means I am getting paid £275 per hour + occasional meetings.

Given my warchest is reasonably good, this extra money will give me a nice 2-3 months holiday abroad even if I work only for a month.

Comment

I tend to find the lesser paid contracts harder work than the better paid ones.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Cheap people always expect the most work.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      Me too!

Comment

Working...
                      X