• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Genuine question: what makes you think you'll have more luck in the permanent job market?

The permanent job market is just as bad, with not many opportunities and loads of people looking. And hiring managers are notoriously skeptical about bringing in ex contractors that may jump ship the second they get a contract.
    Well I can't do any worse! There do seem to be more perm vacancies for what I do (Java developer) than contract at the moment so there is that. As for hiring I was able to go perm during lockdown without the question about jumping ship being asked.

There's nothing to lose looking at perm roles and if nothing else it's a chance for some interview prep and identifying any weaknesses in my tech knowledge.

T

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Adding to this, ex-contractors / temp-perms typically want crazy money because "I used to be on £91283091802938 per day, I'm not taking a job that pays less than what the CEO is on".
      I was pleasantly surprised with the offer I received last time I went for a perm role. Given the rates currently on offer there's not a lot of difference between contract and perm roles.

T

Comment

First interview of 2024 secured. Wish me luck.

T

Comment

Originally posted by tjccjt01 View Post
          First interview of 2024 secured. Wish me luck.

T
          Good luck!

I found out that my gov gig forbids working outside the UK, which is a real blow because I wanted to spend some time working from Europe.

As a result I may not renew in 6 months if offered just for this reason Which sucks because the market might be crappy then and I will have to choose.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post

Good luck!

I found out that my gov gig forbids working outside the UK, which is a real blow because I wanted to spend some time working from Europe.

As a result I may not renew in 6 months if offered just for this reason Which sucks because the market might be crappy then and I will have to choose.
            Asus VPN router £200
            NordVPN subscription ~ £25 from ebuyer for 6 months
            Configure Asus router and ensure your work laptop's IP address / MAC address is set to use the UK VPN server.
            Your work Azure servers will see that you have a UK IP address and will allow you in.

Been there, done that from the other side of the world for a year and never got caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post

Asus VPN router £200
              NordVPN subscription ~ £25 from ebuyer for 6 months
              Configure Asus router and ensure your work laptop's IP address / MAC address is set to use the UK VPN server.
              Your work Azure servers will see that you have a UK IP address and will allow you in.

Been there, done that from the other side of the world for a year and never got caught.
              Was working for HMRC, when a contractor decided to take his laptop outside the country, over Christmas, to keep his day rate rolling.

Cue, no-one being able to login the following day due to a security breach.

Said contractor, was not invited to report back the following day.

Comment

Originally posted by andromedan View Post
                Serious question about contractors that are struggling in general to secure even calls:
                What's keeping your spirits up, and are you considering continue doing contracting under the current market conditions?
                Cycling, running, gym. Downtime usually means I keep the body fit and healthy.

I have loads of hobbies to keep me busy TBH.

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised with the offer I received last time I went for a perm role. Given the rates currently on offer there's not a lot of difference between contract and perm roles.

T
                  As long as one is reasonable about what they can get salary wise at a given position, then all is fine. But I've seen many on here saying "well I was offered perm, so I multiplied my day rate times 260 and they rejected that" which is the most retarded approach to perm ever.

At this point it seems contracts are paying less than perm, although perm might have dropped heavily as well, so not sure where things stand there. The issue is the sheer amount of people applying, it's hard to even get to the first stage of the interview, let alone get an offer. Saying that, good luck with yours

Comment

T
                    There never really was once one accounted for the permanent benefits TBH... if one puts much stock into maternity, sickness, holiday, etc...
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

There never really was once one accounted for the permanent benefits TBH... if one puts much stock into maternity, sickness, holiday, etc...
                      Not properly because it can't really be done. We've had that question hundreds of times and loads of people have tried and never got it close enough. I believe 450 day day needed around 110k gross package but that 110k would pay plus benefits and you've have to take a stab at what the benefits are worth. Most people forget benefits actually cost something. Back in the day I remember CSC launching a flex package where everyone's salary was converted to a gross figure with zero benefits and you could chose to buy it from a massive catalogue. Most people thought they'd got a massive 5 figure raise but when they bought their basic package of 22 days holiday, health insurnce and the like it came back down to their existing wage and they were howling. Very surreal. That set up would have been absolutely perfect to compare 450 a day vs perm gross but I don't think any companies do it that way for obvious reasons.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X