• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Why would a contract in the Netherlands be Inside IR35?
    Exactly as another has just said. Liberty Global are based in NL, but they own UK-based Virgin Media. But even if I would not be working for Virgin, the extra careful powers that be said exactly that. We have a UK based entity!!

Between Covid and now, an agent got me back into LG on an OIR35 contract. Second day in he said, they have now to rethink it and put me IIR35. I left.

The whole thing is a right mess now.

I would not have minded paying more taxes to help recover the Government position post Covid; they could just have upped the Corp Tax rates for contractors. This current thinking however has just caused widespread confusion across the entire playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      Between Covid and now, an agent got me back into LG on an OIR35 contract. Second day in he said, they have now to rethink it and put me IIR35. I left.
      Another victim of this ridiculous rule that they can change the determination up to the first pay. This is happening more and more. Just ridiculous.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Another victim of this ridiculous rule that they can change the determination up to the first pay. This is happening more and more. Just ridiculous.
        Ah, was not aware this is becoming a constant.

Thought I might have been gloriously unique. (Don't explore that one)

Comment

I would not have minded paying more taxes to help recover the Government position post Covid; they could just have upped the Corp Tax rates for contractors. This current thinking however has just caused widespread confusion across the entire playing field.
          They did up the Corp Rate tax, but for everyone not just contractors. Or did you miss that the rate changed from April 2023?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            They did up the Corp Rate tax, but for everyone not just contractors. Or did you miss that the rate changed from April 2023?
            Sorry, I meant more of a Corp Tax increase specifically for Contractors. Yeah, I did see that rate change.

Comment

Sorry, I meant more of a Corp Tax increase specifically for Contractors. Yeah, I did see that rate change.
              It isn't really possible to do this precisely, but you can be pretty sure it was a consideration in the way they designed the new CT regime because the marginal rates are particularly high in the band where most contractor's businesses will fall.

Regarding IR35, it's the first payment from the client to the agency, where an agency exists, so they can actually change the determination quite a lot later, given invoice factoring.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

well beyond the first pay - they can do it up to the point the end client pays the first invoice which may be 120 days after you start work -monthly billing with client on 90 day terms with the agency.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  well beyond the first pay - they can do it up to the point the end client pays the first invoice which may be 120 days after you start work -monthly billing with client on 90 day terms with the agency.
                  Grief, what a farce.

Can I ask if there is yet, any ability for a contractor to be in a contract for some time and, rather like how the HMRC were able to investigate and claw back taxes, for the contractor to investigate, lodge a case, and claw back? Apologies if already discussed in depth elsewhere.

Comment

Grief, what a farce.

Can I ask if there is yet, any ability for a contractor to be in a contract for some time and, rather like how the HMRC were able to investigate and claw back taxes, for the contractor to investigate, lodge a case, and claw back? Apologies if already discussed in depth elsewhere.
                    You mean from a determination change after starting? No, thems the rules. The contractor should know them and consider the risk when accepting any outside gig. It's absolutely rubbish, we shouldn't have to run that gauntlet but rules is rules.

Can you claw back from an incorrect determination? No. The first port of call is to work it out with your client which isn't going to happen.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Grief, what a farce.

Well, there is a client-led status disagreement process

Comment

Working...
                      X