• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjccjt01 View Post

Got an interview a couple of weeks ago. Rate was OK, but the agency forgot to tell me that the job was aligned with US Central timezone so would be working from 3pm to midnight. That was the end of that interview.
    It's amazing how often agents 'forget' important details like location, whether accidentally or on purpose.

I once had an interview for a global company and asked the agent on two occasions whether international travel was required. He was adamant it wasn't, or at most, it would be minor.

In the interview it turned out I would have to spend 1-2 weeks in South America every few weeks!

Another time I got a call from an agent on the way to the interview to say he had forgotten to tell me I would have work in Manchester (200 miles away) a few days a week and was that a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

It's amazing how often agents 'forget' important details like location, whether accidentally or on purpose.

I once had an interview for a global company and asked the agent on two occasions whether international travel was required. He was adamant it wasn't, or at most, it would be minor.

In the interview it turned out I would have to spend 1-2 weeks in South America every few weeks!

Another time I got a call from an agent on the way to the interview to say he had forgotten to tell me I would have work in Manchester (200 miles away) a few days a week and was that a problem?
      "Hybrid model, 2 days in office, South East England"...

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

To be fair it's also up to us to be mindful of stuff like this. It's hardly surprising they 'forget' when they know the arrangements are less then favourable to get you hooked and try change your mind. It will also work in some instances. I'd generally not go for a gig with long travel off the bat but there are certain gigs that could persuade me if it the details looked juicy or there is some negotiation to be had later down the line. Where I wouldn't jump at a gig with 2 days away long distance initially a rate bump, expenses covered or very interesting gig might sway me. I'd be very tempted for a gig in South Africa as well and probably take it as far as negotiation. Many people wouldn't go for them so if I'm their first choice I've got some level of power.

So let them play their silly games and turn it around to use against them by going as far as you can and then hit them with some stuff you 'forgot' to mention at the beginning.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I'd be very tempted for a gig in South Africa as well and probably take it as far as negotiation. Many people wouldn't go for them so if I'm their first choice I've got some level of power.
          South America and South Africa are very different! I would have more hesitations with South Africa, but then I grew up with stories of my uncle needing an armed bodyguard when he worked there in the 90s.

There has definitely been times I would jump at a gig with lots of international travel and there have been others when it wouldn't have been suitable.

Comment

Originally posted by tjccjt01 View Post

Got an interview a couple of weeks ago. Rate was OK, but the agency forgot to tell me that the job was aligned with US Central timezone so would be working from 3pm to midnight. That was the end of that interview.
            Bit of a red flag, anyway, if they wanted to dictate hours - rare for a US client to do this for the type of skillset that they would ordinarily recruit for outside the US (meetings at mutually convenient times, sure, but not working hours more generally). An "OK rate" (in UK terms) is another red flag, bearing in mind the difference in rates between the UK and US. Overall, you probably dodged a bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

South America and South Africa are very different! I would have more hesitations with South Africa, but then I grew up with stories of my uncle needing an armed bodyguard when he worked there in the 90s.

There has definitely been times I would jump at a gig with lots of international travel and there have been others when it wouldn't have been suitable.
              Ugh.. misread that sorry. I've worked in Jo-berg and you need your wits about you. Company had dedicated drivers to get us from the hotels to site and even then you'd have to on edge stopping at intersections with loads of lads just hanging around. I'd be checking their security before starting for sure but still tempted.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

After nearly four months of looking (including 20 days of work that never happened) I am applying for permie roles for the first time since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Ugh.. misread that sorry. I've worked in Jo-berg and you need your wits about you. Company had dedicated drivers to get us from the hotels to site and even then you'd have to on edge stopping at intersections with loads of lads just hanging around. I'd be checking their security before starting for sure but still tempted.
                  It's probably far safer than I imagine, you just have to not be silly and treat it like you would a rough area of the UK. Best not to be alone, stick to busy areas, don't flash your valuables etc . I think I would probably be comfortable with anywhere that doesn't have FCO do not travel advisory tbh. I'm sure hostage insurance is expansible, right?

If I couldn't explore on off days and had to live in a bubble I don't really see the point of going.
                  Last edited by JustKeepSwimming; 22 November 2023, 22:25.

Comment

Guy Incognito same for me I've been out of work since June and now applying for perm roles...hot had perm job since 1997! Don't want to really but no choice...I need a job asap

The contract market is dire even looking at perm is tough as so many applicants...spoke to an agency earlier one that is okay and guy told me it is very strange times he said it has been like this since the summer....perm market isn't great either he said as so many people are looking ...a perfect storm of circumstances meas that it is very tough for jobseekers

I've a few SA friends and they would not move back to Jo'burg due to safety, one always carried a gun I couldn't live like that and based on what they've told me I wouldn't even visit....

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post
                      After nearly four months of looking (including 20 days of work that never happened) I am applying for permie roles for the first time since 2000.
                      How's that going? because it seems that's a closed door as well, employers seem to ignore ex-contractors as they have enough perm only applicants to pick from (and why risk an ex-contractor who will jump ship as soon as they get the option?).

Comment

Working...
                      X