• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    "Policymakers are likely reduce rates to 4.25% by the end of next year, according to investment bank Morgan Stanley (MS).
    In a note to clients, Morgan Stanley said they expected the UK to be in a technical recession by the end of the year, with the economy shrinking by 0.1% in 2024 before growing by 1% in 2025.
    Meanwhile, financial markets are currently predicting that rates will have been cut to 5% by next June."
    What the hell is a "technical recession"? surely there's either a recession or there isn't one, pretty simple, no?

As for the "how's the market?" question I always reply with, "great, never been busier", just say anything other than "I'm struggling pleaseeeeee give me this gig" as I feel like perhaps it makes you less desperate (even if you are) and less of a chance of a bastardly cut of rate at the last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I had exactly the same!!! If there is one set of people that don't have budget pulled at last minute I thought it would be gov gigs. The amount of paperwork they've got to go through to hire you'd expect the budget to be the least of the problems. I was at pre-interview stage though. Put forward and waiting for interview. I mean you never know but I chalked that one up as agent BS because they didn't have the balls to tell me straight someone else got in.
      This is why I turned my back on government work, they only offer inside and then mess you about like this. They are the worst now with no understanding of how you operate.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

What the hell is a "technical recession"? surely there's either a recession or there isn't one, pretty simple, no?

As for the "how's the market?" question I always reply with, "great, never been busier", just say anything other than "I'm struggling pleaseeeeee give me this gig" as I feel like perhaps it makes you less desperate (even if you are) and less of a chance of a bastardly cut of rate at the last minute.
        I think its a recession where most people won't feel the pain due to the already huge amount of pain people are in. Like someone kicking you in your shin while you are already on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

This is why I turned my back on government work, they only offer inside and then mess you about like this. They are the worst now with no understanding of how you operate.
          Who is they though? All of my government roles have been through consultancies, one I worked in the consultancy offices alongside a couple of gov perm employees, another I worked completely for the consultancy and never spoke or met a single person from the gov agency, and the third one the consultancy's only job was to say hello and goodbye and I had absolutely no dealings of any kind with them other than e-mailing them my timesheet, and I worked directly in the middle of the gov agency as one of two external contractors. In that role I had a gov e-mail address, the others I had consultancy email addresses.

Originally posted by dsc View Post
          The agencies usually get a percentage so they want you in at the highest rate possible. I usually just say put me in at the highest rate you think you can get me in. I also think a lot of contractors and permies too are flaky as hell so if you express that you're very keen to get a job, they're less likely to bin you off compared to someone that has the appearance of having 27 interviews a day and will likely just fob it for another role even after the interview.
          Last edited by FIERCE TANK BATTLE; 14 November 2023, 10:53.

Comment

I must confess to finding some people who go on LinkedIn and say if they don't get a job by the end of the month they are going to have to get their cat put down slightly unprofessional.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
              I must confess to finding some people who go on LinkedIn and say if they don't get a job by the end of the month they are going to have to get their cat put down slightly unprofessional.
              That can't be real

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

That can't be real
                I am exaggerating but you do get people give sob stories.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

That can't be real
                  Yeah I've seen plenty of this2, actually.

The last one was a guy who lost his permanent job and had been looking for 2 months and clearly said that either he'd get a job in the next month or they (him, his wife and their kids) wouldn't have money to pay the mortgage and would have to sell the house and move back in with their parents.

I also find it a bit unprofessional because he was really begging for a job, for a referral, for help. LinkedIn is not a place for this. If you're looking for a job, there are better ways to say it.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

[...]LinkedIn is not a place for this[...]
                    LI shouldn't be a place for a lot of stuff that's on there. Sadly a lot of people use it like FB.

Comment

I think I did see one mention their mortgage.

It's unprofessional sure but I guess if you're actually desperate then **** professionalism. There are people who aren't desperate who game the system anyway they can, namely lying.

Anywho. Despite seemingly fewer and fewer adverts managed to 2 bag to perm interviews for reasonable jobs. One is genuine remote first, and other is 2 days local.

Running the numbers on inside 2+ day commute to London and both salaries are pretty good considering the market.
                      Last edited by JustKeepSwimming; 14 November 2023, 14:01.

Comment

Working...
                      X