• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    PM is unskilled labour. Not surprising that you have so many applicants, probably most were sufficiently qualified as well.
    Would you also agree that the fools are therefore those that have been (and still are) paying £450+/day for such (un)skills.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      Oh please change the record fella.

Saying the same thing repeatedly isn't going to make your point any stronger than the first time you said - presumably in 2018.

My last role ending end March paid me just shy of £700/day. So it seems that for a few, it is still a term to be searched for, and paid for.

Without wishing to be churlish, that might say more about the agent's relationship with the client than any other...?

If there is a project, there is someone to manage it. Call him/her what you will, but if Products need Product Managers, in the same thinking, so too Projects.
      If you want a laugh, just search on GoT's posts with the word "friend":

Here's direct quotes taken from he first page of search results only (took about 2 minutes):
      • From an agent friend
      • I’m told by a gay friend
      • Got a friend who is a Virologists
      • I’ve a friend at EY
      • My best friend is bipolar
      • Getting a contract via an old friend
      • Got a friend who is into his 13th month looking
      • I have a friend who is entering his 14th month of bench time (posted the same day as the one above)
      • My Russian friend
      • I have a solicitor friend

I'm not necessarily calling BS on all of these, but I'd take these "friend" posts with a pinch of salt.

Comment

State of the Market

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Here's direct quotes taken from he first page of search results only (took about 2 minutes):
        • From an agent friend
        • I’ve a friend at EY
        • I have a friend who is entering his 14th month of bench time (posted the same day as the one above)
        • My Russian friend

I'm not necessarily calling BS on all of these, but I'd take these "friend" posts with a pinch of salt.
        I have a friend that’s looks up my friend posts

He is a really nice guy, always helpful, handsome and not creepy one bit

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          I have a friend that’s looks up my friend posts

He is a really nice guy, always helpful, handsome and not creepy one bit
          I suspect that's the imaginary one

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

• From an agent friend
            • I’ve a friend at EY
            • My Russian friend

Very amusing... Especially that highlighted.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Same for programmers, 6 months you can master any language (or enough for 99% contacts) and blag the other 1 %

What degree has helped in any contract?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              Have you programmed before?

You think you can go from 0 to master of a language in 6 months?

Maybe you can learn syntax and some basic fundamentals of programming enough to be a junior and do some relatively mundane tasks. I wouldn't trust that person with design and architecture.

An existing programmer can learn a new language and become a master in that new language inside a probation period because they already know the fundamentals of OOP.

The skills I learned in my technical undergrad and technical master's I use in every contract. I also have an MBA I don't use that at all in any contract work but it has been the difference maker in getting a couple contracts.

I'm actually not advocating against the necessity of PMs. That is someone else. It really depends on the project. I think the concept is a little outdated for certain software projects but not all. Multi person implemention teams typically still have a PM for example.

Just saying there are a very wide range of people who can be PMs and it's an unskilled job unless you consider soft skills as being a skilled job but then you'd also have to say sales is a skilled job then.

Anyway wasn't meant to be an insult. I think some people are too sensitive here.

Being a CEO of a company is also an unskilled job. CFO is a skilled job. It doesn't mean a CFO is better than a CEO.

You can be a CEO without any university education, vocational training or even on the job training but a CFO would require skills traditionally obtained through degree education and a professional qualification but not always.

Post a job ad for CEO and you'll get a larger number of qualified applicants than a CFO position even though it'll pay better.

It's just how it is.

Comment

You think you can go from 0 to master of a language in 6 months? .
                Well TATA, Cognizant, Wipro et al think you can.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Add to that list, one other wa****s and really insulting agents - RJC group.
                  Try and avoid these fishers at any cost, if you can.

Dear me!

Comment

....it's an unskilled job unless you consider soft skills as being a skilled job
                    I know I've taken this out of context (a bit), but this argument is now getting a bit ludicrous.

Comment

Back on subject, I heard an interview on the Today show this morning with the guy who found Reed recruitment agency. He said the number of roles open on their database has gone down by some huge number I can't remember, maybe %60.

Comment

Working...
                      X