• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post

The parallel universe bit is so, so true. I am one of the lucky ones in the sense that I am old, only WFH for an Investment Bank that now only recruits cheaper devs...mostly overseas. However, I honestly feel that we are all living in some form of 'limbo' land and just awaiting the global reset ..... Bretton Woods 3, debt jubilee and all. Things have to change.
    The harsh reality is that nothing has to change, IT might just fizzle out and we all might have to find something else to do (after being replaced by younger gens). Remember, nothing lasts forever.

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

Sorry but like it or not immigration has had a massive impact on this country. Not just on jobs but the NHS and housing. Britain is very broken because of it. Most people aren't against immigration but the fact is it's not been controlled for 25+ years now and we are now paying the price.
      Of course, it is immigrants established system where recruitment agencies skimming money from providing NHS staff. It is immigrants pulling off multi-million deals for equipment NHS don't need. It is immigrants constantly cutting budgets of the service. And of course it is immigrants from Asia coming here to work for £25K who pushing up house prices to 100s of thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

Sorry but like it or not immigration has had a massive impact on this country. Not just on jobs but the NHS and housing. Britain is very broken because of it. Most people aren't against immigration but the fact is it's not been controlled for 25+ years now and we are now paying the price.
        Control is the key word here. There was no enforcement of basic controls and no plan on how to integrate immigrants into the society. In fact, the whole concept of integration is an anathema, which gives hungry politicians on the right votes in elections.
        You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sub View Post

Global reset may come in a form of global war. It seems there more and more anger is being expressed around. People eagerly search for ones to blame for the state of economy? Government, immigrants, programmers from India, AI?

I am sure that guys at the top of the pyramid will figure out how to channel the anger. Plus we have legions of young people unable to understand what to do with themselves - who can resist temptation to turn them to cannon fodder? War will write off debts and allow fresh start, but only for rich.

Keep it up boys, blame everyone that looks different and speak bad English. I am sure you will be offered a common enemy and methods for final solution very soon.
          I am against some elements and the quantity of immigration to this country in the last 10-20 years. I am not anti immigrant.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

The harsh reality is that nothing has to change, IT might just fizzle out and we all might have to find something else to do (after being replaced by younger gens). Remember, nothing lasts forever.
            This is my fear, although I suspect we will be replaced by off shoring and not the next generation coming through in this country.

Which is annoying with a year left on my mortgage and the next contract nowhere in sight.

Comment

Global reset may come in a form of global war. It seems there more and more anger is being expressed around. People eagerly search for ones to blame for the state of economy? Government, immigrants, programmers from India, AI?

I am sure that guys at the top of the pyramid will figure out how to channel the anger. Plus we have legions of young people unable to understand what to do with themselves - who can resist temptation to turn them to cannon fodder? War will write off debts and allow fresh start, but only for rich.

Keep it up boys, blame everyone that looks different and speak bad English. I am sure you will be offered a common enemy and methods for final solution very soon.
              Well global war means:

Brazil versus Argentina
              America versus non-America
              India versus Pakistan / Bangladesh
              Goodness know and pick any African state to have beef somebody else
              Minimum 1000 km radius of Tehran is barren radiation dust ball, full of deadly bio-virus and no-return with 10,000 years
              Minimum 1000 km radius of Tel Aviv is also barren and gone
              President Putin finally does go tactical nuclear on the Eastern European borders.
              And where does Great Britain fit in this dystopian vision

State of the Market. THIS. IS. NOT.

I remember reading Judge Dredd. 2000A.D circa 1980s. That Eastern Blok is different now. That Megacity is also different.

Fantasy land won't actually help us out in the end.

What we need to do, is actually figure out how to live together and survive on this Earth planet in a post-pandemic world without the Guns 'n' Roses notion: Appetite for Destruction.

Trading is the answer. Wealth distribution is the definite answer.

You don't bomb your counterparties.
              You trade with your counterparties.

That needs to be said to every would be president, prime minister and sovereign ruler; head of state.

Maybe I should go to writing that Science Fiction novel book since everyone is thinking of melodrama in the world.
              Last edited by rocktronAMP; 6 September 2024, 10:48.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Maybe I should go to writing that Science Fiction novel book since everyone is thinking of melodrama in the world.
                Go for it, we already had something like that before.

In his 1909 book The Great Illusion, Norman Angell argued that developed countries were becoming so economically dependent on each other that the costs of international conflict far outweighed its gains.

Comment

I am sure the Ukraine - Russia war and the the problems in the Middle East (although there has been some sort of problem in the middle east for my entire career) don't help matters but talk of global armageddon aren't really helpful to this discussion.

Globalisation isn't going anywhere and in many ways we don't want it to. The problem is this country has become quite poor at exploiting it over the last 15 years or so. Brexit was largely voted through by people who wanted to reduce immigration and immigration is now at record levels and we don't have access to the largest market in the world anymore.

In IT we issued Visa to Indian IT workers in part to stop companies having to pay the going rate but also to try and open up the Indian Market. At last count our trade deficit to India was £2.7 billion.

You reap what you sow. We kept electing governments that offered increasingly simple answers to complex questions and then get shocked when a new government points out we have structural problems.

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post
                    In IT we issued Visa to Indian IT workers in part to stop companies having to pay the going rate but also to try and open up the Indian Market. At last count our trade deficit to India was £2.7 billion.
                    Strange, I thought that this is business lobbied through those visas so they can bring in cheap work force and enjoy elevated profits for the 1-2 years window until those poor guys realize that life on £25K is hell and start asking for a raise. And then bring new ones, who aren't learned that yet.

And out of interest what exactly UK can sell to India to tackle the deficit?

Comment

Strange, I thought that this is business lobbied through those visas so they can bring in cheap work force and enjoy elevated profits for the 1-2 years window until those poor guys realize that life on £25K is hell and start asking for a raise. And then bring new ones, who aren't learned that yet.

And out of interest what exactly UK can sell to India to tackle the deficit?
                      I agree with both those points, and ironically those self same people who came over are in the same boat as the rest of us now.

If I could sort out the balance of trade deficit with India I wouldn't be wasting my time on here. In fairness it is an emerging market but Whisky aside I struggle to see what we can offer them that they can't sort out themselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X