• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Interesting. Is it possible some roles don't get listed anywhere?
    There are very few roles that I have taken over the years that have been listed, either on the job boards or even on the agent websites. Frequently as soon as they are on an agent's website, or a job board, then half a dozen other "agencies" will advertise the same role, hoping to get a cut of the commission, or to work out who the end client is and put themselves forward.

If an agent can put forward candidates from their current pool of available ones, then that saves advertising the role. Advertising costs money.

And this is where "old school" networking comes into it. It's not enough just to occasionally send application emails, but it's always worth while keeping in touch with agents by phone, and with other contractors you have worked with in the past.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Same here, never had a gig from an agent or jobs board, only from contacts. Probably more common that you'd think, at least for certain types of work.

Comment

Is that a typo on the rate? Probably not...

Key requirements:
        • Support the discovery, analysis, and delivery of key projects for Internal platforms and customer-facing systems.
        • Document requirements using INVEST principles.
        • UML, BMPN, LMF
        • Support the Platform and Feature owners with tasks to ensure successful delivery.
        • Specify change requirements working with technical teams to build and implement changes.
        • Plan and lead change management (UAT, end-user training, SOPs) to ensure optimal adoption.
        • Prepare key documentation including product requirements, functional specifications, UX Wireframes, Test cases, business process flows and customer journeys.
        • Progress tracking and coordination against baselines and reporting blockers

Contract Details:
        • Duration: 6 Months
        • Daily rate: Up to £250 per day (Outside IR35)

Comment

Probably going to get tuliped on for this, but what is the best way to answer (bearing in mind the current state of the market) the perennial question:

"What rate were you on in your last role?"

In the past, I have tended to say "it's confidential", which answer has been happily accepted most times.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Is that a typo on the rate? Probably not...

I don't understand most of that but the plan UAT part on it's own is worth a lot more than £250 a day.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              Probably going to get tuliped on for this, but what is the best way to answer (bearing in mind the current state of the market) the perennial question:

"What rate were you on in your last role?"

In the past, I have tended to say "it's confidential", which answer has been happily accepted most times.
              I use some variation of the same. "My contract had a clause saying I can't reveal it, and I don't betray client trust". Put it back on them. What's the budget?

Great book on this: never split the difference. Get them to throw the first number out.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Interesting. Is it possible some roles don't get listed anywhere?

I have absolutely no doubt the market is heavily, possibly even historically, at a low. I just suspect that roles that never get advertised are doing slightly better than ones who make it onto the job boards.

Although the one interview and one phone call I have had this time round both came from roles advertised on LinkedIn, which has bucked a trend from the last few years of getting contracts through my network.
                Absolutely, it's very common for interim management roles not to be advertised, whether the market is good or bad.

Often it's a senior role and can be sensitive e.g. the incumbent doesn't know they are about to be booted out before an interim replacement comes along.

In the current general market, there are so many available candidates, some agents won't advertise a role as they already know plenty of potential candidates who might fit the bill. Many of those will be available.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post

I use some variation of the same. "My contract had a clause saying I can't reveal it, and I don't betray client trust". Put it back on them. What's the budget?

Great book on this: never split the difference. Get them to throw the first number out.
                  Me, I got paid £xx however market is a bit strange.

Freshies: I will work for half of what everyone else wants because I am here on a visa and don't care about killing the market.

Recuriter: Well if I can sell the freshie then I can buy that Tiffany necklace in NY.

Comment

I have hit the engagement limit with my client and will be finishing in a few weeks.

My manager wants me back but I need to take a 3 month break and reapply.

I am happy to take the break as I am frazzled but quite obviously this comes with a fair degree of risk especially as the firm has reduced headcount recently.

On the plus side I am starting to receive more calls from recruiters so maybe market is picking up.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                      I have hit the engagement limit with my client and will be finishing in a few weeks.
                      The old 2 year myth?
                      My manager wants me back but I need to take a 3 month break and reapply.
                      Who? So you are inside? Why not take the time to get an outside gig and no need to go back?

I am happy to take the break as I am frazzled but quite obviously this comes with a fair degree of risk especially as the firm has reduced headcount recently.
                      Not just that. The work still needs doing so rather perversly when they hit the 2 year rule they just get another contractor in and that door closes for you.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X