• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post

I'm 40 and I feel like this is the case not only for contracts but perm as well. The "old" boys typically want to have a reasonably good salary / rate which might not be the case with someone younger without a family / mortgage / used to a certain standard of living. I've seen ads for most generic roles where 5yrs+ exp is enough and a few lead / head ones where 10-12yrs+ are also acceptable, that's all still well below 40yo in terms of age. I'm already tulipting my pants what happens when I'm 50yo and still have a good 10-15yrs ahead of me :/
    I've felt like this for a while and I'll be 57 in a couple of months. Not had too many interviews in recent years but I remember the last ones being younger devs over Skype. I didn't get those contracts and figured if I was their age, dialling in and seeing somebody old enough to be their father, it was pretty obvious why. Would you offer a contract to your father (sounds like a lyric from Bat out of Hell album)?

Fortunately, in my current contract, the team are more mature. I'm probably the eldest still, or almost, of all the devs but there's an even more mature set of folk working offshore. I see this as being my final contract before retiring to our place in the sun, where life is simpler and the cost of living far less. Just hoping I can keep getting extended (current extension is to July).

Have to say that the state of the market resembles nothing like the one I've enjoyed over the 20+ years of my contracting career, which is sad for those still looking to make a living from it. Will it ever return? I honestly don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post
      Been sending my CV for a few jobs recently that I had quite a strong match for. After some initial enthusiasm (car salesman like) from the recruitment agent that I would be one of only 2 put forward, it still fizzled out and they opted to interview candidates with most industry experience first, rather than just go by the tech skill set. I guess when they get 100s of applications they can be as choosy as they like and tick off all of their desired experience criteria.

I think what bothers me about all this is that I am starting to get a feeling like I might be over the hill as a contractor. I'm 48. In the first 20 years of my career, I seemed to be able to talk my way into anything tech related. My dad held cradle-to-grave type employment when he was starting out in the UKs defense industry, but left to become a contractor. His advice was be a contractor when you are young but get into something more reliable before you get too old, and he certainly found it harder to find contracts as he got over 60. Possibly an issue our generation faces that his did not to the same extent, is that tech is evolving ever faster. As a chartered engineer in his generation, things certainly changed, but just not at the pace it is for us.

A friend, same age as me is on the bench, and had a couple of interviews by 25 year olds from which he was promptly rejected.

Old dogs need some new tricks?
      Mid 50s and it’s v difficult to get a role …I’m being replaced by someone early 30s who they’ve got in at £50k …but they live at home no kids/mortgage etc …

It looks bleak at moment…it seems like experience not valued and outlook looks grim

Comment

Everyone’s perception is different and that’s completely understandable but as someone in their 40s, but relatively new to contracting, I must say that I don’t share the doom and gloom in the last few posts above.

I have no idea how the UK economy will perform in the coming years, but if it does ok I’m fairly confident that as a generalist PM, I’ll be able to make a good living with the skills and experience that I have, whether in my 40s or 50s. I intend to retire when my youngest is 20 so hopefully I won’t be actively seeking full time work after my mid-50s though I’ll definitely be doing some kind of work.

Contracting for me is just a means to an end, I’m not really fussed about what form my income (contract, FTC, perm, consulting, etc.) takes as long as I’m happy with the work and it pays decently.

All that said, the market is the market so if a 30 year old will do the job to the required standard for 50k, that’s the pay for that role and there’s no fighting that. The same for the economy, if it’s tulipty then there’s not a lot you can do besides adjust and recalibrate.

Comment

It’s not about fighting it it’s giving facts and how things have changed ….this is a
          London salary £50k which isn’t a lot to live in London with the COL having shot up. I’d say v difficult (nigh on impossible) if you have the usual mortgage and kids….they are doing it as they young, free and single and living at home….not doable if you have commitments…

A few years back this would’ve been more like £70k but they have so many applicants it’s a buyers market…

It is what it is but it’s difficult times for many

Comment

After the initial new financial year bounce seemed to quieten down by the end of April, I've definitely seen a bounce in the last 10 days.

I've recently applied for more contract roles than I did in the preceding three months. I'm winding down applying for roles advertised online though as it just feels the odds are too low (and perm is even worse). I am now targeting direct contacts with agents which is my usual MO as well as having another trawl through my network of senior IT contacts.

Have a few calls lined up for early next week so let's see if that brings any leads.

Comment

Originally posted by sreed View Post
              Everyone’s perception is different and that’s completely understandable but as someone in their 40s, but relatively new to contracting, I must say that I don’t share the doom and gloom in the last few posts above.
              Me neither. Like oliverson, I will be 57 in a few months, but haven't noticed age making it harder (or easier) to get contracts. At my last place I wasn't even the oldest on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzyFry View Post
                Anyone else noticed some positive rebounce lately?

Hadn't heard from recruiters for a year but today all of a sudden I've received 3 OIR35 opportunities via email and 2 in my Linkedin inbox.
                I'm a software engineer.
                Yes. A small but definite uptick. Perhaps due to positive news on the UK economy last week (moved out of technical recession etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
                  It’s not about fighting it it’s giving facts and how things have changed ….this is a
                  London salary £50k which isn’t a lot to live in London with the COL having shot up. I’d say v difficult (nigh on impossible) if you have the usual mortgage and kids….they are doing it as they young, free and single and living at home….not doable if you have commitments…
                  Agreed. Unless you are mortgage free or have an exceptionally cheap housing arrangement, a single salary of 50k is tough to live on for a family in London.

Comment

Spoke to fella in the US who reckons he has some work for me - part time but I can do it around my current permie role - will be great if it happens.

Also a first interview for a new permie role I'd really like to do on Tuesday.

Feeling less gloomy than this time last week.

Aged 62 as well

Comment

I think there are enough teams out there where the majority of the members are between 40 and 65. That ageism isn't a huge problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X