• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still finding naff all that's not insurance, FS, needs SC/DV, or other bar to entry for a general noddy role.

I suspect my part time hours this month will be reduced to zero hours next month so I need to find something or learn how to shelf stack in Morrisons.

Comment

During covid I applied for various supermarket jobs - got turned down for everything. I know it's just a (lazy) shorthand but don't assume you can just walk into those jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        During covid I applied for various supermarket jobs - got turned down for everything. I know it's just a (lazy) shorthand but don't assume you can just walk into those jobs.
        With the levels immigration at the moment, the large supermarket brands get 100s of online applications per shelf stacking role and first dibs get given to insider referrals. So just like the contracting market at the moment your application doesn't even get opened most of the time.

Driving delivery jobs might be easier to 'walk into', someone i know was telling me they cant find van delivery drivers even though were paying £17 per hour in west london. Pre brexit he never had problems finding drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          I can attest to that. My retired neighbour had the same idea, but it took him a few months to finally land a PT contract at the local Aldi.

Comment

Surely that can't be the case? In The Times today, Jeremy Hunt and Mel Stride tell us that the jobs are there if people want them...

Comment

Think the supermarkets prefer to employ students over older people as well. My son, was able to find a part time job with Tesco pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Sounds like Only Fans
                To be fair, Only Fans creators probably earn more than many contractors now LOL.

A friend of mine has a child in their early 20s on there making a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

With the levels immigration at the moment, the large supermarket brands get 100s of online applications per shelf stacking role and first dibs get given to insider referrals. So just like the contracting market at the moment your application doesn't even get opened most of the time.

Driving delivery jobs might be easier to 'walk into', someone i know was telling me they cant find van delivery drivers even though were paying £17 per hour in west london. Pre brexit he never had problems finding drivers.
                  I was surprised to hear a friend tell me his son got his HGV licence last year and now earns more than his dad in IT (who is a fairly well paid IT manager).

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Still finding naff all that's not insurance, FS, needs SC/DV, or other bar to entry for a general noddy role.

I suspect my part time hours this month will be reduced to zero hours next month so I need to find something or learn how to shelf stack in Morrisons.
                    I would call myself a generalist, which worked very well when the market was good but is a real handicap when the market is in the state it is now.

Pharma is another sector advertising a lot of jobs but sector experience is needed 95% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
                      Surely that can't be the case? In The Times today, Jeremy Hunt and Mel Stride tell us that the jobs are there if people want them...
                      I think there are plenty of non "cushy" minimum wage job around that are hard to fill. Most of these require some leg work/hard graft. Like deliveroo or factory work, picking strawberries etc

Supermarket and retail shop floor jobs and are considered cushy in comparison and much easier to fill. The big retail chains also pay 10 to 20% above minimum wage for entry level roles making them even more attractive.
                      Last edited by Fraidycat; 15 May 2024, 15:38.

Comment

Working...
                      X