• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would strongly recommend using Linked-in Premium. It's not cheap but it does help.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

IT has been in slump for 20 months now, started middle of 2022. What industry is that linked in thread about, have they only started to really feel it now?

Thats to be expected from the 18 month delay from interest rates hikes to really hit the economy, but the IT contract market saw the effect after just 6 months.

Although 18 months ago interest rates were only 3%, so thats what the wider economy is feeling at the moment, just 3% interest rates, it might still require another six to nine months before the economy feels the full effect of 5% interest rates.
      Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
      I would strongly recommend using Linked-in Premium. It's not cheap but it does help.
      how do you use premium? whats the benefit?

ive got linkedin sales nav £80p/m + linkedin automation on the go. that gives me access to the full 1 billion LI database of people.

been running a campaign last 3 weeks to 1000 - 'heads of xxx'

only circa 3 so far said they had an open role. 1 x blockchain something. must have blockchain experience which i dont have

interesting to go this route to bypass the recruiters - i mean thats the way they operate - theyre going direct to employers

lots of 'we've just hired in the last couple of months' - 10+ of these responses - doubting its a legit response now- especially as ive never seen the roles advertised on these companies saying this.

also interesting roles i was rejected for ages ago - couple saying those roles are still live - probably ghost jobs

the rest is all 'not hiring' - a very insightful experiment thats for sure - also paints an uber bleak picture and explains why youre probably getting nowhere with job apps

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post

You don't need to use it as such, you just pay for it, keep applying and let the algorithmics in the back-end do the rest.

Also, make sure your linked-in tags are maxxed out, it used to be 30 tags, I have not checked to see the current limit.

The 'verify' feature seems to be used by quite a few people I have in my connections list, if you are on the bench you might as well enable that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
          Paid for it at least three times now. Didn't help one iota. Won't be rushing to use it again.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I suspect it will be another 6/9mths before it will improve.

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
              I suspect it will be another 6/9mths before it will improve.
              You think? Christmas period?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post

Whenever I go on LinkedIn I need a sick bucket after scrolling through the posts. Hard to tell if people are trying to sell their own 'Personal Brand' our writing their own obituary.

I am delighted to tell you that I am starting a new post as CEO of ACME corp after my double First at Cambridge where I was also captain of the Boat Club and slept with all the fresher girls. I will always be humble.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

I am delighted to tell you that I am starting a new post as CEO of ACME corp after my double Fist at Cambridge where I was also captain of the Boat Club and slept with all the fresher girls. I will always be humble.
                  There, fixed it for you...

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post

ive got linkedin sales nav £80p/m + linkedin automation on the go. that gives me access to the full 1 billion LI database of people.

been running a campaign last 3 weeks to 1000 - 'heads of xxx'

only circa 3 so far said they had an open role. 1 x blockchain something. must have blockchain experience which i dont have

interesting to go this route to bypass the recruiters - i mean thats the way they operate - theyre going direct to employers

lots of 'we've just hired in the last couple of months' - 10+ of these responses - doubting its a legit response now- especially as ive never seen the roles advertised on these companies saying this.

also interesting roles i was rejected for ages ago - couple saying those roles are still live - probably ghost jobs

the rest is all 'not hiring' - a very insightful experiment thats for sure - also paints an uber bleak picture and explains why youre probably getting nowhere with job apps
                    I've seen so many job ads reposted on LI (it just says reposted on the ad), that I'm willing to believe 80% of the jobs on there simply don't exist. Or they want some super odd skills to salary combo (£200k skills on a minimal salary) that makes it impossible to fill...or there's no budget for the role, but they advertise anyway...

Comment

In the old days there were plenty of fake jobs on JobServe or ones that were resubmitted.

I'm getting some success in terms of interviews via linked in and a lesser extent Jobserve, combination of the market in my area picking up slightly and totally rejigging my CV which I'd used successfully for many years but wasn't working in the current super competitive market. Removed a lot of older jobs not related to my current skill set, wrote a lot boosterish linked-in style blurb about my jobs and skills without actually lying and reformatted into a more modern style and I'm getting 50% strike rate in terms of applications to interviews. It was more like 10-20% with my old CV.

Comment

Working...
                      X