• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of contracting up North (A1 corridor / Sheffield up to Newcastle)?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State of contracting up North (A1 corridor / Sheffield up to Newcastle)?

Hi,

My wife has the opportunity to move with her job to North Yorkshire, and we are considering moving (probably to Thirsk or York). I just wondered what the state of the contract market was like in that area. I have 10 years+ contracting experience as a front end dev (HTML, CSS, JavaScript etc), and have done the staying away from home thing before, but would rather avoid it, so don't mind commuting by road / rail up to 90 minutes. I am looking at Sheffield in the south with Halifax being the western border really, can go up to Newcastle as it's an hour by train from York.

I have checked out Jobserve / CWJobs and there seem to be a few contracts in Leeds and lot's of perm roles. I don't really want to speak to agents just yet as they will only tell me what is best for them. Just wanted to know really if there were many people in that neck of the woods contracting really? If there are did you get your roles by looking on the usual places, or do the local agents contact you once you are on their books and you are in the right location, rather than advertising on the Job Boards?

Any help appreciated, as I am from Humberside originally, and would love to move back up north.

Cheers.

Both Sheffield and Newcastle are active areas at the moment due to DWP, I am based in Leeds and find it difficult to find very local gigs but that is just because of my niche, I am sure for the ore common roles like code monkey there will be more opportunities.

There is quite a strong base of Northern denizens so you would be in good company, but then again coming from Humberside I assume you prefer the company of your own cousins to outsiders
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Both Sheffield and Newcastle are active areas at the moment due to DWP, I am based in Leeds and find it difficult to find very local gigs but that is just because of my niche, I am sure for the ore common roles like code monkey there will be more opportunities.

There is quite a strong base of Northern denizens so you would be in good company, but then again coming from Humberside I assume you prefer the company of your own cousins to outsiders
      That's why I moved away from there in the first place, too much of a small town mentality in the locals!

Thanks for the reply though, good to know that the local(ish) market is pretty buoyant.

Comment

There's also the option of still taking London gigs if you don't mind staying away during the week.
        A1 is a good run down to London.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You are not willing to stay away for gigs?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You are not willing to stay away for gigs?
            Yes, I would stay away, but would prefer not to if possible. I would rather have a longer commute and sleep in my own bed at night than stay away all week. That's why I'm trying to find out the state of the local market really. If it means I will have to stay away all the time, then we may be better off staying where we are.

Comment

Leeds has a lot going on away from the code based stuff. DoH, DWP, NHS IT all based there. Some big private sector clients there as well, Asda,BT and a couple of others I can't remember ATM.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I don't think that there's many contracts in North Yorks as compared to West Yorks. I'd choose York over Thirsk as it's only 2 hours to London. York is off the A1 and it's a bit crap for driving around because it's so old.

Donny's closer to London, on the East Coast line and on the A1 but I'd still choose York.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Leeds has a lot going on away from the code based stuff. DoH, DWP, NHS IT all based there. Some big private sector clients there as well, Asda,BT and a couple of others I can't remember ATM.
                  Thanks for the reply. I think there are a couple of Mobile network operators offices in Leeds too. EE has an office there.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                    I don't think that there's many contracts in North Yorks as compared to West Yorks. I'd choose York over Thirsk as it's only 2 hours to London. York is off the A1 and it's a bit crap for driving around because it's so old.

Donny's closer to London, on the East Coast line and on the A1 but I'd still choose York.
                    For gods sake don't go to Doncaster...
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X