• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviews???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interviews???

Hi,

Having been home for a mth now, since my last contract.

What is the best answer to give agencies when they ask if you have other things in the pipeline or pending interviews?

Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life

I always say I have lots of things in the pipeline, just to emphasize I am not desparate.

Although, I am sure their motives for asking vary.

I believe its a dark art when it comes to dealing with agency scum.

Comment

If you say you have a lot in the pipeline then they will usually follow up by trying to pump you for information they can use. A good tactic, if you really dont want to appear desperate, is to say that you've been taking some time off after your last contract ended and have only just started looking again. If you want to appear so cool as to be practically sub-zero you could mention that you turned down an extension because you wanted a break
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
        If you want to appear so cool as to be practically sub-zero you could mention that you turned down an extension because you wanted a break
        That's the very last thing you should say. EBs will quickly assume that you are unlikely to extend as often as needed on one of their own assignments they could put you forward for, therefore they will not rake in as much margin from you as they could. Therefore, you are unlikely to be considered, particularly if someone else equally qualified comes along who appears to have left only because the client didn't need them anymore.

The best thing to say is that the assignment ended (without giving the reason why) and you decided to take a holiday or took some time out decorating your flat or some other excuse that doesn't make you look like you're not in demand and failing to get interviews.

Comment

Agencies want to sell you for a margin, give them the impression that they can, be tactful and disrete, and firm in refusing to be drawn on contacts and clients.

I always say that there is a reasonable chance that I may be renewed, but always add the caveat that there may not be budget approval yet, and thus clear any doubt from the pimps' point of view as to considering me.

Our "Jobs" as contractors (all other things being equal) is to stay employed, you need to manage the pimps to ensure that they work for you.

Comment

Agents are like "Borg", they don't care what you've been doing, they ignore you unless suddenly appear on their radar screen as "revenue fodder". Once they've made their decision, they might ask lots of questions, but basically they'll forget everything you've said after a couple of seconds.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

I always say no, I have none lined up. This stops any fishing expedition. One of the key things for the agent is someone available, as they are more likely to take the job if offered, which is why permies sometimes are overlooked because they often bottle it at the last minute. If I am still working I state that I am definately finishing on a certain date, with no sign of a renewal. No harm saying you are looking for the right role to come up. I have usually only applied for jobs I want and don't post my CV up on sites (might consider that next time) so it's easy to sound keen. Objective is to get put through for the job by the agent, if you get an interview it is good experience as well and if you get the job offer, you can make a decision based on your current options. It's a game really, so with practice you get better at playing it.

Comment

My stock answer is that I have nothing in the pipeline as I have only just started looking becuase I wanted a long holiday - what is the point of the higher rates if you don'gt take time off to enjoy the benefit?

Usually seems to work. That way they tend to stop fishing.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I just mumble something about a couple of leads then change the subject. IF the agent starts asking more questions then I point out confidentiality and how the agent would want me to keep quiet about anything he lined up for me.

Generally a conversation with an agent should take the following:
                  Agent: Are you looking for work?
                  You: yes
                  Agent: I've got this contract <insert details>, seems to be a match on your CV
                  You: excellent
                  Agent: Whens the soonest you can go for an interview?
                  You: Any time
                  Agent: Good, I'll arrange one asap. What else have you got on?
                  You: A couple of bits
                  Agent: Think you'll get offered one?
                  You: don't know
                  Agent: Will you take this if its offered this week at the right rate
                  You: Probably, depends if you offer the right rate
                  Agent: Ho ho ho. I'll get back to you as soon as i can with an interview date
                  You: Thanks, bye.

Anything that deviates much from that is probably a fishing trip by the agent.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

I have to agree with Blaster. It all comes down to 'can the pimp get you in asap'. Anything else is just far too complicated for their tiny minds and most people on this board are over analysing the situation...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X