• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client mobile phone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client mobile phone

Hi,

I've just started my first contract and I've been issued with a laptop and mobile phone. Both pieces of kit where given to the contractor I've replaced and I'll need the laptop to access client systems.
    However, I'm not sure if I should be using the phone. I can't access client email so it's just for calls/texts, maybe, data when I'm traveling.

Is this an IR35 concern or am I over thinking it?

Cheers

You've been given one. Doesn't mean you have to use it surely? Just use yours and keep that safe for when you give it back.

You are over thinking this particular thing but treat it as a red flag and just be more aware in case there are other, bigger issues like giving you work not detailed on your schedule etc.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 March 2016, 22:53.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You did get your contract checked for IR35 and get an Ipse+ membership didn't you?

Comment

What NLUK says, also...

Don't use it for personal calls - no matter what the clientco tells you (or how much it might save you)
        Don't give it out to anyone outside the client
        Make sure you keep your own phone and use it for personal calls or for calls relating to other clients.

It's just a piece of hardware they give out to all contractors, make sure you only use it for calls relating to that client.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've worked with around 5 consultancies, have taken the laptop and refused the phone.

Gave them my LTD Cos phone number and also used it on my E mail signature, job done.
          Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 30 March 2016, 00:10.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            I've worked with around 5 consultancies, have taken the laptop and refused the phone.

Gave them my LTD Cos phone number and also used it on my E mail signature, job done.
            I've done this - mainly because I don't want to carry 2 phones

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You did get your contract checked for IR35 and get an Ipse+ membership didn't you?
              Yes to the review but no to IPSE+. I'll have a look later, what will that give me?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TheBA View Post
                Yes to the review but no to IPSE+. I'll have a look later, what will that give me?

Cheers
                Peace of mind

Comment

https://www.ipse.co.uk/what-we-do

Comment

Originally posted by TheBA View Post
                    Hi,

I've just started my first contract and I've been issued with a laptop and mobile phone.
                    I was given a windows phone on a gig a few years ago. It spent 12 months in my car cubby-hole and I never turned it on. Email signature had my company mobile number.

Comment

Working...
                    X