• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contract work..pls advise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    No. Pay to have your contract checked by QDOS or someone similar.
    Thanks, QDOS was in my mind

Comment

Originally posted by sdyson31 View Post
      Thanks, QDOS was in my mind
      If you're going umbrella route, don't bother.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        If you're going umbrella route, don't bother.
        100% agree, The reason i am looking into IR35 because its not worth going umbrella on £260 daily rates. I can earn the same on permanent, want to do contract simply because of more money.

Comment

100% agree, The reason i am looking into IR35 because its not worth going umbrella on £260 daily rates. I can earn the same on permanent, want to do contract simply because of more money.
          Then stay perm.

£260 is a poor rate if you can get £53K perm.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Wouldn't bother. Public sector contracts are terrible. £260 is quite good for public sector but you'll have no choice about the contracting being inside or outside; it's how it is judged.

As for contracting long term, staying perm would be safer, especially with the security blanket of redundancy or compromise payments if you're canned.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Then stay perm.

£260 is a poor rate if you can get £53K perm.
              Under ltd without IR35 i can earn around £3700 (47 weeks) after tax which is a lot more than earning 53k per year. There are good chances of this contract to be last for at least an year.

Comment

Under ltd without IR35 i can earn around £3700 (47 weeks) after tax which is a lot more than earning 53k per year. There are good chances of this contract to be last for at least an year.
                Rolling contract puts you inside IR35 most likely as NLUK said.

Comment

For a start, you are inside or outside, not under. Secondly, You can earn that if you can get your head around the whole business of being a contractor which you are struggling very badly at at present. Get it wrong and all that extra money just disappears. Never... and I mean never... assume a contract will last as long as X.... A contract lasts as long as the notice period and even that is a moot point. If you try and second guess your client and plan for the best its going to be a horrible mess when you get given the worst. The very best you should be planning on is the first three months if they honour the first period before they can drop you like a stone. If they do, do you have the warchest behind you until you find the second gig (which is the hardest)?

Are you prepared to travel up and down the country to stay in contract? Understand and deal with everything to do with contracting? Spend periods of time on the bench not earning? Can you handle yourself professionally on site and not just think you are an employee... There is much more to contracting than just a bit of extra money.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Never presume you will be working for 47 weeks. Apart from holidays other things can go wrong.....
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Jesus, lamb to the slaughter.

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X