• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contract work..pls advise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Forget Parasol. Speak to Lucy at Contractor Umbrella.
    Bless, thank you

Comment

Dunno, I'm only allowed to call her Ma'am or My Lady. She'd chop my balls off if she knew I was using her first name on here...
      Nice to know you know how to treat a woman

Comment

IR35

Regarding IR35 i have been told that i will be outside of it as recruitment agency will be paying me not client and agreement would be b/w client and agency.

Is it true?

Just reading this.....

2. I have a substitution/control clause in my contract, and my agent says the contract is 'IR35-friendly' so I must be outside IR35

Sadly this is very common, but it’s not the silver bullet that many people believe it to be. Having something written in your contract is great, but it won’t protect you in the slightest unless it’s genuine. IR35 depends on your working conditions, not the written contract.

HMRC have the power to talk to your end-client direct, and if the client doesn’t agree that you can send a substitute then any clause in the contract is pointless, plus you run the risk of the whole contract being dismissed as a sham so any genuine clauses could be dismissed too.

If you really do have the right to substitute, or full autonomy over the work you do, then get it confirmed in a separate document and keep it safe. Remember that with IR35, HMRC can go back 8 years, so they may end up talking to someone who never actually knew you or your working practices.

Be careful to ensure you give the real details to any company you buy IR35 insurance from too, as they won’t pay out if you’ve not given them the true picture. If you can, get insurance that includes a review of your working practices, not just the written terms.
        Last edited by sdyson31; 21 March 2016, 13:33.

Comment

Rolling contracts do more than 'look like' inside.

The key factors which determine your IR35 status
          Fair enough - I read about them being potentially risky when approached about one in 2013.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by sdyson31 View Post
            Regarding IR35 i have been told that i will be outside of it as recruitment agency will be paying me not client and agreement would be b/w client and agency.

Is it true?

Just reading this.....

2. I have a substitution/control clause in my contract, and my agent says the contract is 'IR35-friendly' so I must be outside IR35

Sadly this is very common, but it’s not the silver bullet that many people believe it to be. Having something written in your contract is great, but it won’t protect you in the slightest unless it’s genuine. IR35 depends on your working conditions, not the written contract.

HMRC have the power to talk to your end-client direct, and if the client doesn’t agree that you can send a substitute then any clause in the contract is pointless, plus you run the risk of the whole contract being dismissed as a sham so any genuine clauses could be dismissed too.

If you really do have the right to substitute, or full autonomy over the work you do, then get it confirmed in a separate document and keep it safe. Remember that with IR35, HMRC can go back 8 years, so they may end up talking to someone who never actually knew you or your working practices.

Be careful to ensure you give the real details to any company you buy IR35 insurance from too, as they won’t pay out if you’ve not given them the true picture. If you can, get insurance that includes a review of your working practices, not just the written terms.
            No. Pay to have your contract checked by QDOS or someone similar.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              No. Pay to have your contract checked by QDOS or someone similar.
              would agency be able to provide me the detail contract?
              Last edited by sdyson31; 21 March 2016, 13:46.

Comment

Is it true?

Just reading this.....

Honestly... Go umbrella and forget all this IR35. You really aren't cut out for this at this point.

You are supposed to be doing your own research and understanding all this. It's becoming apparent you either don't want to research it or can't understand it. When someone says something, go read up. You can't keep coming back on here and asking if every little thing you hear is true. You are contractor now, you have to stand on your own two feet. You simply cannot be spoon fed everything. You have legal responsibilities now so really must step up.

Get signed up with Lucy and just have done... please.... it's getting painful.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Think man FFS... Who is paying you? So who do you need a contract with? I'm starting to think you are trolling now. No one can be this dim.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Think man FFS... Who is paying you? So who do you need a contract with? I'm starting to think you are trolling now. No one can be this dim.
                    Yes they can.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The agency would provide you with the contract to sign.

If you intend to go limited and that the contract is outside IR35, make sure that you get it checked out first.

Comment

Working...
                      X