• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oracle SQL certificate for PM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oracle SQL certificate for PM

Currently on the bench looking for a new contract. My background is investment management however lately I have spent most of my PM consulting time with projects that required an understsanding of SQL and related mysql dbases.

I wrote my first ms sql query 15y ago in Access and now I am fine, actually have fun writing queries.

Clearly, I do not want to compete against any technical IT guy however being able to read and write what I need has proven useful several times.

Fact is that when I speak with agents my diverse CV makes many not so confortable and I am afraid to be perceived as a nothing of everything cowboy.

So I thought to get the Oracle Database SQL expert certification. Does it has any credibility or I better stick a boyscout firemaker patch to my CV?

Thank you all 😃

You mention your background but what are your skills? Are you a PM that should have tranferrable skills or are you an Oracle bod that thinks they can PM?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You mention your background but what are your skills? Are you a PM that should have tranferrable skills or are you an Oracle bod that thinks they can PM?
      1st applies. SQL just got stick to me. I am not really the technical guy in tje room, never the less the Oracle person.

Comment

OK so would an SQL certification make you an expert in your field to complement your experience and make your the best candidate or would it be a random cert with no demonstrable experience so making you look even more random that you say you are?

You need to think about what you can sell to a client, experience and certs. Random cert plus no experience then not a chance. Years of experience backed up with a cert them you are a candidate.

Sounds like you need to think about what you offer a client and start building on that rather than just being a random OK at everything type. Permie roles might like that but contract ones won't.

Comment

OK so would an SQL certification make you an expert in your field to complement your experience and make your the best candidate or would it be a random cert with no demonstrable experience so making you look even more random that you say you are?
          Thanks Northernladuk, I think this answers all.

A certification will not make anybody an expert, experience does. A certification however proves that you were able to do something (passing whatever exam) at some point in time. Perhaps, and this condenses most of the reasoning of my original question a certification might set a standard, hence credibility for a given skillset.

How much the "Oracle Database SQL Expert" accomplishes this is for me so far unknown.

In the last project, I managed (a bespoke lightweight ERP) I was definitely hands-on SQL as I had to be times before. Do I profess myself a database expert? Not really. I can however debug a query that has been written for me or write it from scratch if I wish so. This is the skillset that I want be able to demonstrate, nothing more.

Sounds like you need to think about what you offer a client and start building on that rather than just being a random OK at everything type. Permie roles might like that but contract ones won't.
          haha...So far worked direct, billing fixed prices. Always closed projects profitably and on time, so I do not really do anything too random. However, you are right, agents and some larger clients prefer monochromatic profiles and I need to speak with them too.

Comment

Stick to being a PM.

Obviously, its useful to understand the technologies, if you can, but I can't see the advantage of the hands on element.
            The thing is, anyone can write a bit of SQL, but, it is the deep understanding of the best way to write it, that is the real skill.

Nothing worse than 2 bit SQL jockies
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Nothing worse than 2 bit SQL jockies

I'll join you in that statement.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Nothing better than a PM who actually understands some of the technology.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                  Nothing worse than a manager who understands a little about a piece of technology, but acting like they are the authority on it.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    Nothing worse than someone understanding some technology thinking they can PM because they did a Prince 2 course 10 years ago.....

Comment

Working...
                    X