• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reed PS, Beware of their games

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reed PS, Beware of their games

Hello Fellow Contractors - Just curious if others have had a similar experience with these jokers. They pitched me a 12 month contract, for which I interviewed twice and got the job only to be told in the 11th hour that it was a 3 month contract. I turned down another offer as I trusted Reed's verbal offer of 12 months. IMHO they are game players and are trying to pitch themselves as something that they are not. They try and market themselves as a PS organisation like BCG, but in reality they are nothing more than a body shop. Another nice plus: They want you to give a 4 week notice, but they only offer you a 2! I have added them to my black list. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.....

You're wrong on several counts there but I can't be bothered to argue. And for the last time, a contractor neither wants nor needs a notice period: when the job's done, the requirement changes or you cock up, you go home. It's what we do.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Global, I suspect you may have over-reacted. 12 months from the off is virtually unheard of unless you have worked there before. The 3 months could easily have been extended and I would have used this to negotiate a higher rate going in. Might not even have been Reed pulling the strings.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
        ... a contractor neither wants nor needs a notice period: when the job's done, the requirement changes or you cock up, you go home. It's what we do.
        Can't argue with your philosophy, but a contract by definition is meant to form a binding agreement and is not worth the paper it is written on if it can be terminated on a whim by one party. If the client wants a commitment to a notice period it is only fair that it is mutual - whenever I come across this I insist the contract is amended and so far I've not had a problem with getting this done.
        Only the mediocre are ever at their best

Comment

If your are blackballing for a 3 month contract with 2 weeks notice then you are in for a tough time.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
            If your are blackballing for a 3 month contract with 2 weeks notice then you are in for a tough time.
            Agreed.
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I'd take it...

What do you do, btw?
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Generalist
                Can't argue with your philosophy, but a contract by definition is meant to form a binding agreement and is not worth the paper it is written on if it can be terminated on a whim by one party.
                It's not on a whim, it's on contractual agreement

Originally posted by Generalist
                If the client wants a commitment to a notice period it is only fair that it is mutual - whenever I come across this I insist the contract is amended and so far I've not had a problem with getting this done.
                ISTM that as a contractor you provide the service that the client wants. It the cost that you have to pay to get twice as much in your pocket as a permi does. If you want permi T&Cs then work for a permi wage.

tim

Comment

Once again, a notice period implies mutuality, since you can be paid for doing no work and that, as we all know, is not a good thing, remember?

The common trait among every newbie on this site (and quite a few regulars, sadly) is that they think in terms of contract duration, not contract deliverables. Get over that mental blockage and it all begins to make a lot more sense.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                    ISTM that as a contractor you provide the service that the client wants. It the cost that you have to pay to get twice as much in your pocket as a permi does. If you want permi T&Cs then work for a permi wage.
                    tim
                    I was making a different point, that as a supplier of IT services it is not in my company's interest to have such uncertainty in the contract, which after all has been let for a fixed period of time. Hence the larger suppliers will always have a "termination for convenience" clause which means the client has to pay up of they decide to end it early. These aren't "permi T&Cs" they are sensible commercial arrangements (but that is not to say that contractor companies can always protect themselves in this way, especially with an agency in the middle).
                    Only the mediocre are ever at their best

Comment

Working...
                    X