• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the "how are you finding the market" question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the "how are you finding the market" question

Whenever a pimp asks this question I just cringe. The "where have you interviewed" question or "anywhere I shouldn't send your CV to" always follows.

So, just fishing for ideas how to deflect this annoying pimp behaviour... what do you say to this question?

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
    Whenever a pimp asks this question I just cringe. The "where have you interviewed" question or "anywhere I shouldn't send your CV to" always follows.

So, just fishing for ideas how to deflect this annoying pimp behaviour... what do you say to this question?
    Sounds like small talk so I'd say:

"Okay, how about you?"

Comment

"where have you interviewed" and "anywhere I shouldn't send your CV to".

These are easy ones to bat away. Since nearly every recruitment agent asks to keep the tell anyone the client, I usually say I've been put forward for a few roles, but been asked to keep these details confidential.

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post

thats an odd one, in 10 years of contracting, I've been asked hundreds of times about how I am finding the market, but never once has the pimp followed with those two questions you've listed!!

Comment

I've had the "give me a list of places you've applied so that we don't send them a duplicate"... never cottoned on at the time!

Lots of "how are you finding the market" at the moment. IN truth, it's a bit quiet!

What are they trying to find out - how desperate/available you are?
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            I usually say I've been put forward for a few roles, but been asked to keep these details confidential.
            Which I would advise against. Agents prefer candidates with less opportunities on the go as there is a higher chance of placing them. Don't think agents are attracted to scarcity (most of the time) they want low hanging fruit, unless you have some really niche skills and experience.

A simple "You are the first person i have talked to" should do the trick. Agent's lie, you can lie back.
            Last edited by clearedforlanding; 2 February 2016, 20:50.

Comment

Depending on how I feel:
              1: Hang up!
              2: Be very rude if they are unprofessional.
              3: Ignore the question & ask what the job spec is.
              4: Lie regardless its a loaded question anyway most of the time to data mine info from you.

Comment

I had a guy called me, and asked if i know some rare technology X. I said no, and after a minute chit chat he asked me this, with resignation.
                I wouldn't just hang up to be honest because guy really had something and might have something in the future...

Comment

I always answer "quite good" to the how you're finding the market question even if it's bad.
                  To the where are you interviewing question I always say "can't disclose". I also always say I am interviewing even if I'm not, no to sound like a loser. I also always add "but nothing in an advanced stage", even when things are very advanced. If you say it's advanced they won't put you forward.
                  Agencies lie, I lie back, with a few exceptions of individual agents I have a good relation with (still not giving the names where I'm interviewing though)

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                    Sounds like small talk so I'd say:

"Okay, how about you?"
                    I always say this

Comment

Working...
                    X