• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "the "how are you finding the market" question"

Collapse

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
    It must be .... its happening practically every day
    Absolutley not. The only possibilities are an IMSI attach SMS or they are hammering the phone.

It is not a feature translated to SS7 signalling so if calling from a landline they would only receive the SMS if there was no PABX in the way, i.e. a single POTS line with an SMS to speech service.*

If they are calling from a mobile, SMS in UMTS is sent using the SRB, so they would get a text message to their phone.

*Well you could implement it in a PABX for DD, but never seen it in the wild.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 5 February 2016, 11:59.

Leave a comment:

• hgllgh
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    No
    It must be .... its happening practically every day

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    I have noticed that as soon as I switch on my phone I am getting a call ... its happening too regularly now for it to be a coincidence...is this possible for agencies to have in place?
    They are watching you (cue xfiles music)...

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    I have noticed that as soon as I switch on my phone I am getting a call ... its happening too regularly now for it to be a coincidence...is this possible for agencies to have in place?
    No

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Depending on operator an SMS may be sent to say that your phone is available (IMSI attach) when it previously was not. It can be disabled with a short code.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 5 February 2016, 11:21.

Leave a comment:

• hgllgh
    replied
    agencies using automatic "wakeup" calling

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    I get far too much spam to pick up the phone to find out. My bank withholds and my mobile provider does. Again, if they're calling me about something important, they'll leave a message; otherwise they're just trying to sell me something, so no thanks.
    Indeed. I'm not saying I answer them - I don't bother answering withheld numbers, numbers that aren't in my phone book or ones that are who I'm not already dealing with.

I might if it's convenient for me, but I don't discriminate.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    How do you know which ones you shouldn't answer though?
    Simple. If they can't get through to me I get an email.

Some of them even email me first and don't bother calling me.

A few agents do keep a list of contractors they have networked with or worked with before, other agents spam everyone in the agency database and others just use job boards.

It does help if you have used some niche technologies or have some niche skills.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It was a general comment about people who answer every call when they are on the bench. There is no point.
    How do you know which ones you shouldn't answer though?

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    +1

They are harvesting CVs and on the client side they are given "burners". Leads that the senior staff consider a dead end are given to trainees to practice telephone & persuasion skills, and importantly how to deal with rejection. "They are rejecting your proposal, not you" - is a key part of sales training.
    As the majority of these juniors were on the Boots perfume counter, flipping burgers or selling double glazing 2 minutes ago I would say I am not just rejecting the role but very much so the oik whose wasting my time on the phone

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    It was a general comment about people who answer every call when they are on the bench. There is no point.
    I think he was feigning being insulted by pretending to be in his 20s...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Was that meant to be levelled at me?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Those "wasters" are new to the job and have no control over who gets put forward for a role. They often end up leaving after a few months as they cannot hack the hours and the type of work.

While you do need to get your name in the frame talking to the youngsters rarely yields results. Having a conversation with someone more experienced even if the role is unsuitable will yield better results.

Sorry I've overheard "interesting" conversations on public transport by people in their early 20's in technology recruitment oles.
    Was that meant to be levelled at me?

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Those "wasters" are new to the job and have no control over who gets put forward for a role. They often end up leaving after a few months as they cannot hack the hours and the type of work.

While you do need to get your name in the frame talking to the youngsters rarely yields results. Having a conversation with someone more experienced even if the role is unsuitable will yield better results.

Sorry I've overheard "interesting" conversations on public transport by people in their early 20's in technology recruitment oles.
    +1

They are harvesting CVs and on the client side they are given "burners". Leads that the senior staff consider a dead end are given to trainees to practice telephone & persuasion skills, and importantly how to deal with rejection. "They are rejecting your proposal, not you" - is a key part of sales training.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    To be fair, if I'm on the bench, I'll be wanting to speak to those people to get my name in the frame if they do land a role that I'm suitable for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X