• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter asking for picture

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Illegal or not, it's not professional.
    Depends on the country..

UK and loads of Northern Europe forbidden.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It might just be normal there to attach a photo on your CV (i used to a long time ago). If thats the case then that will likely be the key they map to your CV, in the same way I don't accept linkedin invites without a phot. I'll never remember whoever people were if they didn't have a picture.

Comment

In Germany a photo is required by most large Non-IT companies. Always been the case. Just tradition.

Of course you can refuse, but they'll probably bin the CV.

Modern IT companies are usually more relaxed about it.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 18 January 2016, 08:55.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

I can't see why a company would want to risk being accused of racially profiling applicants, which would seem a logical outcome of such a policy. My photo is on my linked in profile; I'd just direct them there. If they're making you an offer and want a copy of your passport that's something else.

Comment

I've no issue with it, as for why some do, is it possibly to make sure that the person sending the CV is the same as the person attending the interview and that is the person who turns up on day 1 of the contract?

It's not all about how repulsive you look, racial profiling, etc. Otherwise some could argue that photo driving licences and passports should be illegal (unless you're a foreigner over here to steal benefits and reduce house prices in which case you must have ID with you at all time)
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              I've no issue with it, as for why some do, is it possibly to make sure that the person sending the CV is the same as the person attending the interview and that is the person who turns up on day 1 of the contract?
              I have witnessed one of case of getting someone different and heard of one guy who at the f2f couldn't speak any English, who in the, previous, phone interview spoke English just fine
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

It's not all about how repulsive you look, racial profiling, etc. Otherwise some could argue that photo driving licences and passports should be illegal (unless you're a foreigner over here to steal benefits and reduce house prices in which case you must have ID with you at all time)
                Regarding the ID stuff, that's usually only required after an offer is made, isn't it? I'd still be concerned about accusations of racial profiling if I was an employer asking for this before an interview.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  I have witnessed one of case of getting someone different and heard of one guy who at the f2f couldn't speak any English, who in the, previous, phone interview spoke English just fine
                  At least it wasn't like this interview:

Originally posted by thedailywtf
                  After digging through a pile of resumes for a junior developer position, I settled on a few for an in-person interview. When the day came around for one particular candidate's interview, the receptionist told me that there were two people in the waiting room wanting to see me. By all accounts, a husband and wife. That was a bit confusing, but I called them into a meeting room and had the following conversation ...

Stephan: So what is it that I can do for you?
                  Man: Yes, we have come for the interview.
                  Stephan: Interview? For the programming position?
                  Man: Yes, we come to do interview for our son Rajib.
                  Stephan: Excuse me? You're here on his behalf?
                  Man: Yes, we do interview. He's very good boy and he do good job to you.
                  Woman: Yes, very good boy.
                  Stephan: Ummm ... err ... I normally talk to candidates directly ...
                  Man: Yes, we here for him. You interview with us.

I wasn't really sure what to do, so I did the interview. I asked all the technical questions I had and I'm happy to report that not only were they answered very well, but Rajib was apparently more than willing to work long hours, be a team player, and contribute a lot. After all, his father told me so. But unfortunately for Rajib, an *actual* candidate turned up and secured the position.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                    Regarding the ID stuff, that's usually only required after an offer is made, isn't it? I'd still be concerned about accusations of racial profiling if I was an employer asking for this before an interview.

You'd want ID before an interview to confirm that the photo sent by the agent was the person who attended.

If the ID comes after the interview then the ClientCo would need to take a photo of the interviewee to confirm it matched.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I asked all the technical questions I had and I'm happy to report that not only were they answered very well
                      At least they have done better than some of mine.

Gives new meaning to the term, I often use, "My mum could have done a better job".
                      In this case, it is likely to be totally true
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X