• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

very tricky situation...!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your contract is with the agency. He's the one that's paying you. Getting the client involved in your issues with the agent rarely end well... And not knowing how to exploit a situation where you know the agents cut is too high... Really?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Your contract is with the agency. He's the one that's paying you. Getting the client involved in your issues with the agent rarely end well... And not knowing how to exploit a situation where you know the agents cut is too high... Really?
      I would say that it depends on how good your relationship is with the client. I have had very good, open working relationships with previous clients and in one case I actually walked into the client director's office and negotiated a split of the agency commission cut.

Ultimately, if the client relationship is strong, and they need/want you to stay, their word will carry far more weight than yours if they were to negotiate with the agency. Especially if the client takes on a number of contractors, i.e. provides good business for the agency.

A win/win situation, for example, would be to have the client knock back the agency to 10% commission on renewal, and then have the saving split between you and the client.

Comment

Its not a tricky situation at all really.

Pimp sent you the wrong contract.

Remember you get a percentage of their business, not the other way round.

However I would ask for a rate increase anyway

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          As I said you have these conversations with the agent.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            sure mate... I know what to exploit...but always good to listen to guys here - if there is a tried and trusted formula to get pimp on your feet!!....who knows...experts here could make the difference.!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              I would say that it depends on how good your relationship is with the client. I have had very good, open working relationships with previous clients and in one case I actually walked into the client director's office and negotiated a split of the agency commission cut.

Ultimately, if the client relationship is strong, and they need/want you to stay, their word will carry far more weight than yours if they were to negotiate with the agency. Especially if the client takes on a number of contractors, i.e. provides good business for the agency.

A win/win situation, for example, would be to have the client knock back the agency to 10% commission on renewal, and then have the saving split between you and the client.
              I have a good relationship I believe, though its my first contract with them. they are keen to get me on board soon. Client Manager keeps in touch with me and update PO progress etc. rather doing it through the agent. If I couldn't get a direct answer from agents I usually call client manager as well.

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
                Its not a tricky situation at all really.

Pimp sent you the wrong contract.

Remember you get a percentage of their business, not the other way round.

However I would ask for a rate increase anyway

hmmmm..really....??

Comment

Indeed. Also understand the agents situation. His lowest percentage will depend on a number of factors like number of contractors he has at client, what your day rate is etc to expect 10% to be the defecto standard is wrong. An agent probably can't make enough money if he's got a single contractor at a client on 250 a day on 10%.

If you understand what the agents lowest margins to make it worthwhile for him you are in a good place to negotiate. If it's not worth his time it will go no where.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
                    hmmmm..really....??
                    Step 1) Client pays agent 100%.

Step 2) Agent then pays you 80%.

HTH
                    Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Working...
                    X