• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Health and Safetly Issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health and Safetly Issues

I have started a new contract and have to work on site. I have a crap chair and a bright light glaring into my eyes and the desk is so low it gives me a back ache, making the work situation impossible. It cetainly does not meet standard health and safety/ ergonimics. I have asked several times for someone to look at fixing itm but nothing has happened.

As you can tell, I am something of a fragile beast, not built for the strains of office work. . I have already finished a packet of pain killers just to be able to remain at my desk for the past few days. If I was permie I would certainly shout out about it and would consider taking time off sick until it was sorted out. But, being self employed, I don't have the option.

Anyone any ideas as to how I stand in getting this sorted out? Does the client have the same responsibilities to me as to a normal employee?

Originally posted by dork
    Anyone any ideas as to how I stand in getting this sorted out?
    Bring in your own chair and laptop and move to a part of the office that's more comfortable? If they don't like it, then they'll have to listen to your concerns.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

They don't have the same reponsibilities, unless your contract is within IR35. The responsibility for complying with Health and Safety regulations rests with YourCo, not with the customer.

But with that said, most companies have policies regarding subcontractors that usually include requiring that when on site they operate to the same health and safety standards as permanent employees. So, I suggest you look up the clients Subcontractor Policy and then use that with your client to get them to take some action.

[/Fleetwood]
      Safety
      certainly
      ergonomics
      it
      [/end Fleetwood]
      Last edited by XLMonkey; 13 October 2006, 09:07.
      Plan A is located just about here.
      If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
        Bring in your own chair and laptop and move to a part of the office that's more comfortable? If they don't like it, then they'll have to listen to your concerns.
        If only I could... this company (a bank) is so locked down and tied up with red tape... it took a week and special forms and persuasion to even get internet access.

Comment

You're a supplier ... you've been given a gig ... be happy and work for the money for as long as you can get it. I have to sit opposite an ugly woman all day, who also happens to be our team project manager. Should I complain about that?

The more you complain about minor things, the quicker you'll get terminated. Hasta la vista, baby.

Comment

I have so say I have put up with some crap chairs/desks this year. Always placed in the middle of nowhere, and I have suffered from really bad back & neck pain this year.

I have just bought two new office chairs, one of which pedantically I will take with me on my next contract.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
              I have so say I have put up with some crap chairs/desks this year. Always placed in the middle of nowhere, and I have suffered from really bad back & neck pain this year.

I have just bought two new office chairs, one of which pedantically I will take with me on my next contract.
              Taking one's own chair would be interesting if commuting by rail - one the one hand it would guarantee a seat on the train, but it is likely that SE Trains have a similar policy to that for bikes i.e. not in the rush hour unless it can be folded.

I had to sit opposite a fat ugly woman who was an absolute ahole AND I had an uncomfortable chair AND a bright light - I left and have not had a headache since. Mind you I'm not working at the moment either!
              Only the mediocre are ever at their best

Comment

"Taking one's own chair would be interesting if commuting by rail"

You leave the chair at the office, not travel up with it each day
                Generalist I bet you're a card to work with.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Clients responsibility extends to self employed which can include contractors

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1992/Uksi_19922792_en_1.htm

e) "workstation" means an assembly comprising-
                  • (i) display screen equipment (whether provided with software determining the interface between the equipment and its operator or user, a keyboard or any other input device),
                  • (ii) any optional accessories to the display screen equipment,
                  • (iii) any disk drive, telephone, modem, printer, document holder, work chair, work desk, work surface or other item peripheral to the display screen equipment, and
                  • (iv) the immediate work environment around the display screen equipment.

2.—(1) Every employer shall perform a suitable and sufficient analysis of those workstations which-
                  • (a) (regardless of who has provided them) are used for the purposes of his undertaking by users; or
                  • (b) have been provided by him and are used for the purposes of his undertaking by operators,
                  for the purpose of assessing the health and safety risks to which those persons are exposed in consequence of that use.

(3) The employer shall reduce the risks identified in consequence of an assessment to the lowest extent reasonably practicable.

So it may be wise to have a chat with them and ask to supply your own equipment if necessary.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

There's always the one who has to post something useful and/or serious....

Comment

Working...
                    X