• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed in dismissal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed in dismissal

Hi, I approached the director of the company iv been working for (3yrs) to give notice of my intention to move on, without going in to the full details I was subjected to a barrage of abusive words/allegations & told to #### off before I'd got more than 20 seconds into my sentence. I chose to remain silent & simply left, iv since been informed by a now ex colleague the announcement was made iv left!!
    Where do I stand legally as iv been dismissed for trying to hand in my notice, is that allowed? As a contractor do I have any rights here?

Originally posted by pomp74 View Post
    Hi, I approached the director of the company iv been working for (3yrs) to give notice of my intention to move on, without going in to the full details I was subjected to a barrage of abusive words/allegations & told to #### off before I'd got more than 20 seconds into my sentence. I chose to remain silent & simply left, iv since been informed by a now ex colleague the announcement was made iv left!!
    Where do I stand legally as iv been dismissed for trying to hand in my notice, is that allowed? As a contractor do I have any rights here?
    You say you're a contractor but you seem to want employee protection like a permie!

You've been terminated. No work, no pay. Move on.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

None - tell them to fook off and move on.

Comment

What's your contractual notice period?

Comment

Originally posted by Lola C View Post
          What's your contractual notice period?
          What's that got to with it?

Comment

I suggest you tell your "ex-colleague" what actually happened and explain you are obliged by your contract to give x weeks notice. Then keep your mouth shut as you have the paper evidence to back it up.

Now find another contract and be glad you left that nasty environment.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              With what? With terminating his contract? Everything.
              Do you have another opinion? Please share.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Well it might prompt him to read his contract and try understand the basics of what he does.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lola C View Post
                  With what? With terminating his contract? Everything.
                  Do you have another opinion? Please share.
                  Technically maybe, in reality not really.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Technically maybe, in reality not really.
                    Well, technicality is what the court would usually look at in the first place.
                    But in the case of the OP, who I suspect is a temp, it might cost him more than to simply leave it behind him.

Comment

Working...
                    X