• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving mid-contract - thoughts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
    I agree, jumping ship just because more cash comes along is not the way to work, but that isn't the reason here and that's why I posted. If client co had said to me before my renewal "you are doing a good job, we'd like to keep you for another 6 months", then I would have accepted and got on with things, but they did it in such a way that I don't know when they are looking to replace me (and I know they are interviewing 3-4 people this week) so I've had a look around, something better for my career has come up and I'm very tempted to jump ship
    No Brainer, take the new role.

Comment

I generally agree with NLUK. I largely don't have a problem with being available until replaced by a permie, that's the general state of affairs, but where I really draw the line at is the mismanagment of the relationship.

If you let my contract lapse, you'll be lucky to see me renew.
      Mess around with my invoices? Our relationship is now tainted.

I'd make a move. If possible, invoke where you'll be least affected by non-payment.

Comment

It would be a real shame if you walk and the other one falls through and you end up with nothing.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
          I generally agree with NLUK. I largely don't have a problem with being available until replaced by a permie, that's the general state of affairs, but where I really draw the line at is the mismanagment of the relationship.

If you let my contract lapse, you'll be lucky to see me renew.
          Mess around with my invoices? Our relationship is now tainted.

I'd make a move. If possible, invoke where you'll be least affected by non-payment.
          i'm chasing at the moment to get 11 weeks worth of timesheets approved and signed off, want them approved before I give notice

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            It would be a real shame if you walk and the other one falls through and you end up with nothing.
            well obviously i'm not going to walk until I have a signed contract from the other client. As I mentioned earlier, I have worked with the director of the company in the past so that gives a little extra comfort but obviously business is business and i could end up with nothing

Comment

i'm chasing at the moment to get 11 weeks worth of timesheets approved and signed off, want them approved before I give notice
              11 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                11 weeks
                I know, it's been slack, usually it gets to 3-4 and then they approve. There has been a bit of a re-org and I think they want to move the approver but that hasn't happened yet. I do want to make sure they are approved soon though.

Comment

What you gonna do if the new client gives you a three month contract with no indication of an extension and an even better gig comes along?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know, it's been slack, usually it gets to 3-4 and then they approve. There has been a bit of a re-org and I think they want to move the approver but that hasn't happened yet. I do want to make sure they are approved soon though.
                    I would have downed tools by now.

Though I would have given them a warning the first time they had delayed by 2 weeks.

They have you over a barrel. I suggest you get the timesheets signed asap and give them notice explaining that their inability to sign the timesheets so they pay you on time makes them an unacceptable risk.

There is absolutely no need to bring up the new client or anything else.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      What you gonna do if the new client gives you a three month contract with no indication of an extension and an even better gig comes along?
                      I'll work the contract until completion, and take it from there. Like I did with the current client co until they started d!cking around with the extension (and the termination conversation). I have extra incentive to impress the new client co given they may be able to provide work when I emigrate so I would be very reluctant to burn bridges there

Comment

Working...
                      X