• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving mid-contract - thoughts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    What you gonna do if the new client gives you a three month contract with no indication of an extension and an even better gig comes along?
    I think this is all irrelevant considering the OP can't manage to get his timesheets signed and money out of the current client.

If someone isn't paying your Company for work done then regardless of how they treat you, you aren't going to be happy.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I would have downed tools by now.

Though I would have given them a warning the first time they had delayed by 2 weeks.

They have you over a barrel. I suggest you get the timesheets signed asap and give them notice explaining that their inability to sign the timesheets so they pay you on time makes them an unacceptable risk.

There is absolutely no need to bring up the new client or anything else.
      really? I think leaving for that reason is a lot more unprofessional than what I'm suggesting......they have never refused to pay, or not paid.....they are just slow to do so.

Comment

I would have downed tools by now.

Though I would have given them a warning the first time they had delayed by 2 weeks.

They have you over a barrel. I suggest you get the timesheets signed asap and give them notice explaining that their inability to sign the timesheets so they pay you on time makes them an unacceptable risk.

There is absolutely no need to bring up the new client or anything else.
        Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
        really? I think leaving for that reason is a lot more unprofessional than what I'm suggesting......they have never refused to pay, or not paid.....they are just slow to do so.
        Yes but as SueEllen says above, you have a duty to manage the risk within your organisation. What happens if they get someone and you've in effect got 2 weeks to get 14 timesheets signed off while not knowing who will do it and nobody in ClientCo bothered about doing it? Given what you said about them looking to replace you at any moment then a 14 week influx into Ltd coffers will give you enough buffer to move on.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Yes but as SueEllen says above, you have a duty to manage the risk within your organisation. What happens if they get someone and you've in effect got 2 weeks to get 14 timesheets signed off while not knowing who will do it and nobody in ClientCo bothered about doing it? Given what you said about them looking to replace you at any moment then a 14 week influx into Ltd coffers will give you enough buffer to move on.
          true, it's a fair point from you and SueEllen. I'm haven't had a pressing need for the cashflow which is why I haven't been chasing them constantly for them but it is unprofessional. Will make sure to chase hard this week before I get any other offers.

Comment

Actually it's not unprofessional.

As a small business you don't give credit to companies just because they can't be bothered to pay on time.

Companies of all sizes go bust - remember Enron and Lehman Brothers? I've met contractors and former contractors stung by them.

You need to inform your clients that they need to pay on time. You don't allow them to get into the habit of paying you late because they can.

Comment

Actually it's not unprofessional.

As a small business you don't give credit to companies just because they can't be bothered to pay on time.

Companies of all sizes go bust - remember Enron and Lehman Brothers? I've met contractors and former contractors stung by them.

You need to inform your clients that they need to pay on time. You don't allow them to get into the habit of paying you late because they can.
              yep, agreed with you in the above post

Comment

You having a laugh?

At 11 weeks I'd highly question whether or not you're going to be paid at all and would be downing tools. It takes them no time at all to sign timesheets and it's pretty much the only part of the relationship they need to manage.

If I were you, tomorrow morning I'd be printing them out, putting them in front of the appopriate person and glare until they sign. Have they paid you at all until renewnal.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
                  You having a laugh?

At 11 weeks I'd highly question whether or not you're going to be paid at all and would be downing tools. It takes them no time at all to sign timesheets and it's pretty much the only part of the relationship they need to manage.

If I were you, tomorrow morning I'd be printing them out, putting them in front of the appopriate person and glare until they sign. Have they paid you at all until renewnal.
                  yes, i've never had any issues with pay. I'm with an agency so I fill out timesheets online and then someone at client co needs to approve. They have always done so, but sometimes need a nudge/reminder. I can't imagine they wouldn't pay up but I will push for them to be approved this week as that is a long time.

Comment

I do think at times bailing out of a contract early gets a bit overplayed on here. In my experience someone jumping ship is met with mild disgust before a replacement is found and up to speed in a week or two.

Comment

yes, i've never had any issues with pay. I'm with an agency so I fill out timesheets online and then someone at client co needs to approve. They have always done so, but sometimes need a nudge/reminder. I can't imagine they wouldn't pay up but I will push for them to be approved this week as that is a long time.
                      And your agency allows that?

I often have clauses in my contract that state if the client doesn't pay on time I (or any substitute) must down tools if the agency requests it due to not receiving payment from the client. The agency will not pay my company if work is continued once myself (or any other director) has been informed of the client's non-payment.

It does work both ways. If the agency screws up paying invoices more than once I politely ask them if they are having financial problems so I can inform the client.....

I should add tomorrow - ask continually until someone approves your timesheets.

I would also have a word with the agency about the client's behaviour. Send them an email now stating you are unhappy about their persistent refusal to approve timesheets on time. Then speak to them on the phone tomorrow.

If both you and the agency pressure the client they will be approved.
                      Last edited by SueEllen; 27 October 2015, 18:44.

Comment

Working...
                      X