• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobserve/ Recruitment Agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobserve/ Recruitment Agents

I am totally infuriated with the ads on Jobserve placed by dubious agencies. I have had enough of talking to hyper, frenzied types who are always so busy, the ones who can't read and haven't a clue about the job they've just advertised, the ones who lie, who dig for information about who to contact etc. etc...

I haven't had one lead from an agent but a lot of lies and false hopes.. and this is a daily thing. I would like to know of other people's experience though since discovering this and itcontractor I realise I'm not alone.

I have told jobserve about the dubious agencies and they said that they vet each one to ensure they have genuine jobs, all I can say is their vetting is seriously flawed.

The agents do my head in frankly and I've decided to boycott jobserve, I think it would help if everyone did this so agents felt the silence loudly and thought of cleaning up their act. However, I don't know what alternatives there are and I don't understand why companies don't take the time to advertise directly.

All thoughts welcome.........

Learn to live with it, its all part of the game

Or you could go direct. One of my reasons for going into contracting was that I had built up what I thought was enough contacts to develop some into direct contracts. Sure enough, got one 6 months after starting contracting, no need for an interview or CV's or agencies.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

If you are searching in the London area then please use my Jobjock Agency/Agent database and filtering system application. (It only captures data for the London area)

It was created to help me deal with certain annoying features of contract searching and I am sharing it for free with the world.

No personal info required and no obligation, though I do appreciate feedback and ideas for the next version release. (You need to register with valid email address)

enjoy!

error
      jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

U have to roll with the punches Im afraid.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
          Or absorb the punches with my flubbiness...
          Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

It's all part of the game, I think you are playing it wrong.
            Here is the plan I use:
            1. See advert on jobserve etc, good match, location, rate etc.
            2. Send off tailored CV with very brief note - here is my CV. (needs to be within hours of the ad being posted or they already have the list and can't be bothered going through every reply)
            3. Forget about it. Don't ring them, don't send another email etc.
            4. IF they are interested they will phone and you can easily pick out the lead fishers from the conversation.
            5. They get hundreds of replies, if you didn't make the cut, that's the game.

Sounds complacent but you will drive yourself mad waiting for the call back, trying to contact them etc Jobs are fakes or withdrawn all the time, don't bother chasing the shadows.

Comment

Constantly search target-rich environments. Zero-in on the contracts you like. Fire and forget. Maybe pump in a second shot (ie. a phone call) just to make sure.
              It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
                Constantly search target-rich environments. Zero-in on the contracts you like. Fire and forget. Maybe pump in a second shot (ie. a phone call) just to make sure.
                Did you watch Top Gun on TV last night, per chance?
                Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
                  Sure enough, got one 6 months after starting contracting, no need for an interview or CV's or agencies.
                  Only six months? Fast work...

Xeon, the main reason clients use agents is that they find the idea of trolling their way through hundreds of CVs (most of which will be completely inappropriate) to be soooooo bad, that they would rather pass the task on to someone who is prepared to deal with any old s**t in exchange for money.

Which is where agents come in. If you don't believe me, try posting a contract opportunity on jobserve and then see how many responses you get. As I occasionally have to find people to subcontract work to, I know from bitter experience what a pain it can be.

Getting direct contracts and managing your pipeline is definitely the way to go, but it ain't easy.... your boycott on jobserve will probably hurt you a lot more than it will hurt them.
                  Plan A is located just about here.
                  If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan

Where is your new shop? WHEN WILL IT BE OPEN?

I will come around for the insurance, after all.... you don't want soft cushions to fall on you feet do you?
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X