• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn - Total waste of time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn - Total waste of time

I signed up with LinkedIn round about 2004 I think at the suggestion of a developer I was working with, and then conveniently ignored it for about 10 years until it seemed to become fashionable. Now, there's no way in a million years I'm ever going to pay over £ 40 a month for a premium membership but what would that give me anyway? I can see that people are looking at my profile and I might not know exactly who they are (mostly agencies) but the fact I've never had any offers speaks volumes. It's a pointless waste of time. Who cares if somebody has uploaded a new photo of themselves they think looks remotely flattering? Who cares who likes who? The whole idea behind the site is that it is business networking with the promise of work to come. But what is the likelihood of that? I've probably had one exchange of messages that has been to my advantage in all that time. So why would I pay £ 40 just to see the real identity of people who've looked at my profile and haven't followed it up? No thanks, I'll just stick to the usual channels that have served me well the last 12 years, i.e. Jobserve and non-LinkedIn networking. Rant over.

I hate it and have no idea why I have an account. Every single word on that site is bollocks.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I use it to keep track of my business contacts... that's all. The chances of getting work through it are slim, but for the effort required in maintaining a profile is not exactly onerous. You've probably expended more energy ranting about it.

You get what you paid for. It's a free service, paid for by your professional information. What did you expect?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I also use it to keep track of my business contacts. Every time I am coming up to contract end, I post on LinkedIn, and every time at least one old contact gets in touch with a couple of leads.
        World's Best Martini

Comment

I've picked up my last 3 contracts from LinkedIn and haven't paid a penny for it.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You get out of LinkedIn what you put in. And you don't need to pay to get jobs, contacts, and Intel.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I got one contract out of LinkedIn so Premium paid for itself. Collect recommendations from people and give props to friends seeking work.

Comment

What they all said. You get out what you put in. Paying for it seems silly in the extreme unless you're intending to advertise heavily.

I despise the whole social networking thing as I see no value in it and the obsession from some people is mind numbing, but I know plenty of people that would have a complete meltdown if their social profiles disappeared.
                LinkedIn serves a few purposes, one of which can be getting roles, I was contacted out of the blue off mine (which was out of date by 2+) years and if not for the timing as I was off on holiday and they needed help in a few days I'd have taken the role.

The whole recommendations thing is utterly out of hand, it's just "like" farming and utterly devalues what was a semi useful feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                  I got one contract out of LinkedIn so Premium paid for itself. Collect recommendations from people and give props to friends seeking work.
                  But those recommendations are absolutely worthless

Another thing I cant stand - people with nothing to offer you who go round harvesting connections. You accept, hear nothing, and your timeline becomes full of their bulltulip bingo. No thanks.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    But those recommendations are absolutely worthless

Another thing I cant stand - people with nothing to offer you who go round harvesting connections. You accept, hear nothing, and your timeline becomes full of their bulltulip bingo. No thanks.
                    Then don't accept in the first place FFS!

And if you accept and then find they fill your timeline with said bulltulip bingo, remove them from your connections.

Every few months I regularly cull any agent who hasn't been useful to me. It's not rocket science.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X