• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearence and non-UK partner/room mates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearence and non-UK partner/room mates

Hi,

Firstly, I have read the sticky and multiple threads on this forum, but I have been unable to find any specific answers to my questions.

I am from the UK, and have just landed an amazing opportunity that requires me to be vetted, and obtain SC clearance in order to start. I have lived in the UK my whole life, have no criminal record, no debt, but there are a couple of things that do concern me.

The first is over the last 2 years I have lived in flat shares with room mates of other nationalities. At the moment in the property I rent houses 2 Americans, and an Indian guy for example, and I am not sure if this could affect me obtaining clearance? Also, my girlfriend of 1 year and a half who I currently live with is Italian, and has only lived in the UK for 2 years. I have read a few things, specifically regarding a guy who thinks he failed clearance due to having a Chinese girlfriend, and I also remember another guy having a Russian girlfriend.

Just wondering, do you think these things will affect me when getting vetted? Or should I be OK? Of course I will absolutely answer every question honestly on the form.

Thanks,

I do believe the general advice in the sticky is apply, be honest and see what happens. Am not sure what you are trying to gain asking this question. Do you want a hug and for us to tell you it will be OK or to tell you don't have a snowball in hell's chance so you won't waste your time? What difference will either of those responses really make?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You're right, it wouldn't make much of a difference. I was just looking for solid information on it, there doesn't seem to be a lot.

So yes, really I am reaching for a hug in the form of success stories of similiar situations...

Comment

You need to try mumsnet then I'm afraid. Hugs are in a short supply on here. There is no solid information on SC. Its on a case by case basis and is decided on the merits of the situation.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by asphyz View Post

I have read a few things, specifically regarding a guy who thinks he failed clearance due to having a Chinese girlfriend, and I also remember another guy having a Russian girlfriend.

Thanks,
          Last time I looked Italy was part of NATO & generally considered a friendly country. I don't see how having an Italian (or any other Western European) girlfriend would significantly impact your application, unless of course her family have Mafia connections.

Comment

The housemates should have no influence on your SC clearance as they are more like friends.

Your girlfriend may.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I can't remember being asked about any of that when I applied for SC.

I used to work with an Iranian who had SC.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I can't remember being asked about any of that when I applied for SC.

I used to work with an Iranian who had SC.
                jeez is there any point to SC...

Comment

Italian girlfriend should be no problem, unless she is a known member of the mafia or far right political party, serious criminal etc. Housemates don't know.

Be honest and give full and frank declaration.

Comment

I got my SC with a Russian Partner, after a year of waiting though and an interview......

Had SC previously (2009) while with same partner and no issue then. The reason last one took so long was because of the UK-Russia ill feeling at the moment, and they need to be assured of mine and her loyalties (the guy actually said that). Things only really moved when shot got British Citizenship. Even so she is now a dual national.

Comment

Working...
                    X