• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signing Contract before background check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing Contract before background check

So if there is a role that won't let you go onsite before a background check is completed (one of those check what you had for lunch in 1980 type of checks) in the private sector. Is it a good idea to sign the contract before the background check, what if something stalls and it takes weeks and weeks, now the agency has you on a contract with the only real valid break clause being on their side and the lack of pass on the background check.

Is it a good idea to just say "I will sign when I am cleared?" and then keep interviewing in the mean time. Last person who took a job at this place took 2 months to clear just because previous experience was overseas.

Some places will let you on site before a check is complete but they wont let you near sensitive data.

I dont see a problem here.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Some places will let you on site before a check is complete but they wont let you near sensitive data.

I dont see a problem here.
      This one doesn't, they won't let you onsite until the check is complete. But the agent is pushing for the contract to be signed. Contract says in it subject to the background check being passed.

Comment

What clauses are in the contract that mean you can get out of it easily?

If there aren't any don't sign

If there are sign.

Either way keep looking.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Read the small print very very carefully.

I had a contract like this last year which said in the small print if you fail the check you are liable to pay approx £500 + VAT for wasting the agencies time! That's why they want you to sign the contract your liable if you fail the security check so stall until the checks are complete or not & keep looking.

Otherwise decide if you want to really be liable or not if you fail the security checks. My understanding is that many agencies will not enforce the £500 + VAT failure fee but I have yet to see that in writing either ..............
          Last edited by uk contractor; 15 September 2015, 22:38. Reason: typo

Comment

I don't sign until the offer and contract is firm and definitely going ahead (as much as the next and final step is to turn up on start date). That way i'm not caught in any clause and free to go to whoever gets me to the final step first.
            Snooze and you loose.

Comment

I have been in similar situations and its unusual for the actual contact to be presented until the BPSS, or internal Clearance have been "passed"?

Normally, an email is exchanged, offering and accepting the contract, in principle, subject to the Clearance.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Have you been given a start date yet? If not, you're still on the market.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Contract says in it subject to the background check being passed.
                  Thats the point.
                  You only have a binding contract in place, once the clearance has been passed.

If you were to sign it early, below quoted clause withstanding, I can't see that you would be subject to anything on the contract.

Read the small print very very carefully.
                  I had a contract like this last year which said in the small print if you fail the check you are liable to pay approx £500 + VAT for wasting the agencies time! That's why they want you to sign the contract your liable if you fail the security check so stall until the checks are complete or not & keep looking.

Otherwise decide if you want to really be liable or not if you fail the security checks. My understanding is that many agencies will not enforce the £500 + VAT failure fee but I have yet to see that in writing either ..............
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Just to put this in perspective I've never heard of anyone having this clause and it's the first time I've seen it this forum. It's an absolute disgrace and hopefully the agents that pull this one will get outed and change their ways.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X