• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going Direct and finding potential clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Direct and finding potential clients

I'm between contracts at the moment, and since I'm fairly new to contracting, would like a bit of advice about finding clients. I don't want to rely entirely on agents to find me work, so I'd like some advice on approaching potential clients directly. Specifically, if you have experience of doing this, how do you go about finding organisations who are likely to be wanting contractors with your skills?

I have thought about this many times, and even nearly succeeded once (many years ago). The problem was not finding places that needed your skills, but more a question of the stars aligning and them needing them when they are available. Unless you have skills that mean you can act in a true consultancy manner (IE get a few people similarly skilled) or do things that involve a few days here and there across multiple clients I am struggling to see a way forward.

I've seen a couple of sites that aim to join contractors with clients without an agency, but not sure it would work. I quite like having my invoices factored for me too... and not having to worry too much about 90+ day payment terms.

Comment

I've done a few side projects. Most have come from people finding me because I have a bit of a niche. What is it you do?

I'd just recommend researching potential clients and approaching them asking if they need anything. Pretty easy to get contact details with LinkedIn etc nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by cityben View Post
        I've done a few side projects. Most have come from people finding me because I have a bit of a niche. What is it you do?

I'd just recommend researching potential clients and approaching them asking if they need anything. Pretty easy to get contact details with LinkedIn etc nowadays
        I'm a data scientist.

Comment

Tough call this one as a vast majority of larger clients just don't want to deal with clients so use agents. We all want to cut agents out but they do fulfil a role for the client and, it has to be said, for us as well. They are less likely to use jobserve and the like than agents so there are going to be slim pickings there. I think you are going to have to take a very proactive role on this. A number of thoughts I have on this are....

Research all the clients you can and go look at their websites, some have temporary vacancies pages on their sites. For example AstraZeneca have a temp roles page at Welcome | Temporary jobs with AstraZeneca in Cheshire | Hays but this isn't the best example as it is fronted by Hays who they are embedded with. You will probably find this a lot tbh.

I get alerts for jobs on linkedin which are all permanent roles but it's worth following them up with an enquiry about contract roles. If they are advertising directly on linkedin there is a chance they may not be so embedded in with agents. Slim but might be worth a shot.

Target smaller firms in your skill set and approach them directly with covering letters and the CV or something. Being smaller they may not see the benefit of an agent.

The upshot is it's going to be a right ball ache if direct is your preferred method. Getting contractors in is now the preferred method for resourcing in most companies so it's culturally normal to use an agent to do that. Percentage wise there won't be many that haven't bought in to the model.

If you are niche then putting yourself about and gathering LinkedIn contacts is probably the best approach unfortunately.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agree with NLUK that it's a lot easier for clients to just got to agency. They get more choice and most admin done by them vs going direct.

Wonder if that'll change in future if IR35 changes happen but that's another conversation.....

Personally, I'd love to only work direct but chasing sales, invoices etc puts me off. The timing would always be a problem too. I worked on a project which took a couple of months to arrive despite being told it was "next week" for a while. It that was my main income source, it would've caused me problems.

Comment

My last two (and current) are direct but that's was down a fair chunk of luck ie: right place right time. As for payment terms yes it can be a pain as your just another creditor at the bottom on the food chain however finding out finance dept and being very, very nice with them (without being condescending) can work wonders.

might all change for me as current client co is pushing direct contractors to a pimp agency who has only being running since March this year!

good luck (you are going to need it, most definitely)

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Some tips -

1. Go to networking events. I pick up loads of vacancies to fill from these, and its a great way for me to meet clients - which means its the same for you; a very easy way to pick up contracts.

2. Learn how to use Linkedin. Seriously. Take a few days and just network openly on it, approach managers, ask friends. As an actual contractor, you will get a much better hit rate than us recruiters.

3. Tap your network up. If you have friends on site doing similar things to you, they will know whats going on

4. Watch the local BD news, look who is expanding, who has acquired who, whats changed - put in a BD call.

However, I do know that data science as a skill set is only used in either tiny, nieche consultancies, or huge sized companies - the consultancies will be easy to get work from as they typically hate recruiters, and always want to take people direct, the larger companies all use recruiters as a "screen" to block them from a myriad of issues, and to make things easier for them in the hiring process.

Btw, Linkedin currently have a free trial month on premium accounts - you will be amazed how much better these are than normal; give it a try if you are serious about going direct and don't have a network to tap up.

The bottom line is, totally possible, but be aware - 60 day payment terms are awful, even 28 can be painful if you are used to weekly or bi-weekly billing, and business development (which is what you are doing for yourself) is not easy; its stressful as f*** and the only reason most of us do it is for the paycheck.

Good luck!

Comment

I got recommended to a place by an ex colleague who was contracting there at the time, that lasted a year, last week there I sent an email to a contact saying I as leaving and thanks for their help, and landed another gig direct via recommendation to start the day after finishing the other place.

I have since been contacted by other organisations I worked along side in my last project asking if I have availability... I will contact a selection of my old contacts when this gig ends, as well as other key people I come across in this gig and see what peculates to the top.

You are your brand/product, figure out who your customers are while in a contract and network.

Comment

Working...
                  X