• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancel contract after one week

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Sure, spin it around but remember the situation is this:

You have a contract from that other person that allows you the legal right to "crap on them" with exactly one months notice. You provide the obligatory one months notice.

Do they now have a right to moan about you "crapping on them"?
    Only course they do. They've paid for 5 weeks of effort and got absolutey nothing for it. On top of that they have to recruit again and then get the new guy up to speed. The OP Will have put the gig 8 weeks behind.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You probably shouldn't bother with the notice period. Unless you can actually deliver something complete in the next month, anything you do will be going in the bin, irregardless of whether it's any good or not.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Spin it around. If someone was to crap on you would there be any nice way they could do it not to piss you off?

You think the new gig will wait one month for you? Are you sure the new gig won't evaporate before you arrive in reception whenever you start? Do you feel lucky punk?

Good luck getting paid from the first gig by the way. Might want to factor that in to your calcs to see if the new gig is worth it.
        WHS + Massive risk, unless its really worth it. You also will earn -100 reputation points.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
          Re-spin again...you start a contract, 1 week in client cans it, gives you notice. You might have binned another opportunity for this 'canned' one, so now who's crapping on who? Dog eat dog out there, and don't gimme this crap about you won't be able to go back to the client...
          Not disagreeing with the sentiment, but as a client there is no way they are going to keep you for the month and pay you.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
            You probably shouldn't bother with the notice period. Unless you can actually deliver something complete in the next month, anything you do will be going in the bin, irregardless of whether it's any good or not.
            WFS - if you're going to do it, give them the option of walking now and not being paid as it's extremely unlikely you've added any value. If they want you to work your notice, then of course you should get paid for the whole lot.

Comment

FFS Just because a client can cancel early due to commercial reasons does that mean you should bail for a few extra £££. I recently had the opportunity for a new role paying £100 a day more than my current rate. My contract ends at the end of September, its a good rate and a good client, new role could not wait so I had to decline, never bailed early so far, not going to start now.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                FFS Just because a client can cancel early due to commercial reasons does that mean you should bail for a few extra £££. I recently had the opportunity for a new role paying £100 a day more than my current rate. My contract ends at the end of September, its a good rate and a good client, new role could not wait so I had to decline, never bailed early so far, not going to start now.
                Oh I've definitely left mid contract, but not for money. Normally it boils down to unreasonable client behavior. Basically they are clients that I don't plan on working for again, this is part of the attraction of contracting for me. As for taking the £100 extra a day role, as well as firmly burning a bridge with the client there is a risk that you will end up on the bench. Till you get through the door and become a real person, lots of clients will chop and change. It can range from a delayed start date to complete cancellation of the contract. I agree that if it was the other way around and the client suddenly had someone come available for £100 a day less and they though they were as good as your kind self, your feet wouldn't touch the ground.

Comment

to everyone saying he should stay...

if it's a business to business relationship what makes their business more important than yours? Notice period is in there to protect either side - if they wanted you to stay longer the notice would have been longer (or it would be pay-on-completion / pay-on-deliverable, which trumps the bathroom fitter argument)

unless you're all really just disguised employees?

they wouldn't hesitate to invoke notice and ditch you if they wanted to

Comment

Noble thing to do is walk away after the first week, take the hit and not bill for the time already committed, this way you can start the new contract immediately.

But then again how can you tell after one week the gig is not exciting, most clients can't give me a desk and a computer after one week, each to their own I guess.
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      Noble thing to do is walk away after the first week, take the hit and not bill for the time already committed, this way you can start the new contract immediately.

But then again how can you tell after one week the gig is not exciting, most clients can't give me a desk and a computer after one week, each to their own I guess.
                      Most times I have a desk. And given the tulip computers I've had at the last 4 clients can I just use my own laptop....

But if you want away after a week say sorry its not for me and don't invoice...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X