• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancel contract after one week

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Only course they do. They've paid for 5 weeks of effort and got absolutey nothing for it. On top of that they have to recruit again and then get the new guy up to speed. The OP Will have put the gig 8 weeks behind.
    Cry me a river. Then they should never have agreed to a contract with a one month notice period in then, should they?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      Cry me a river. Then they should never have agreed to a contract with a one month notice period in then, should they?
      So what should they do? Remove ability to give notice at all... that's really gonna benefit us isn't it. The question was do they have the right to be a little annoyed by this and the answer is yes, just like we get a lot annoyed when it happens to us. That's all I was saying.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Its time for your grandmother in Australia to die (again)
        ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by raphal View Post
          A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, given the prevailing world economic affairs.
          Unless the birds are of different genders. In which case, build a cage around the bush and end up with a cage full of birds before too long.

Get it wrong and the bird that's in your hand will poo on your wrist before too long.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
            Its time for your grandmother in Australia to die (again)
            That's even worse than call in sick.

Comment

That's even worse than call in sick.
              I now know why PC returned

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                What makes their business more important? Without theirs, you don't get paid.
                That's not quite right. Without theirs, or any other business willing to pay you for your services, you don't get paid.

So long as there are other businesses out there willing to employ your services, you'll get paid. Therefore, potentially annoying one client by leaving a contract early won't (or at least shouldn't) be too much of a problem.

(Unless you're so niche that there's only 2-3 businesses that will employ you, but then if that's the case, you've already got bigger problems!)

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  That's not quite right. Without theirs, or any other business willing to pay you for your services, you don't get paid.

So long as there are other businesses out there willing to employ your services, you'll get paid. Therefore, potentially annoying one client by leaving a contract early won't (or at least shouldn't) be too much of a problem.

(Unless you're so niche that there's only 2-3 businesses that will employ you, but then if that's the case, you've already got bigger problems!)
                  Yes but no. Your actions will catch up with you and reduce that pool of people that will pay you. On Friday my client had 3 CV's through for a gig we need to resource for. They have a problem here that they put out the max rate so it does look pretty high and we only have a 1 week notice period. 2 of the people that have applied don't have as much experience as the client would ideally like and both have indicated they are in a gig and we would have to wait the notice period. My client has rejected both of them as he's been burned with contractors leaving so is in no mood to see people that are jumping ship to get here. He also asks the agents for further clarification when they have 1, 2, 5 monthers that could be indicative of an early leave. A little over the top maybe but evidence that clients don't like it.

I am also aware of at least one contract that has given notice in the past and has re-applied and didn't get a look in either.

Comment

My client has rejected both of them as he's been burned with contractors leaving so is in no mood to see people that are jumping ship to get here.
                    Agree totally. Have seen this happen many, many, times, in banking.
                    In addition, its always wise to look at the long game.
                    Grabbing an extra £50 PD by moving won't amount to much, if they can you early vs. staying somewhere for a longer term, i.e. more stability.

Also, it depends how big your world is. In mine, nearly everyone, knows everyone else, so that is a factor, also.

I am also aware of at least one contract that has given notice in the past and has re-applied and didn't get a look in either.
                    So have I, except they lost out on at least 2 roles, they applied for, as far as I know.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Yes but no. Your actions will catch up with you and reduce that pool of people that will pay you. On Friday my client had 3 CV's through for a gig we need to resource for. They have a problem here that they put out the max rate so it does look pretty high and we only have a 1 week notice period. 2 of the people that have applied don't have as much experience as the client would ideally like and both have indicated they are in a gig and we would have to wait the notice period. My client has rejected both of them as he's been burned with contractors leaving so is in no mood to see people that are jumping ship to get here. He also asks the agents for further clarification when they have 1, 2, 5 monthers that could be indicative of an early leave. A little over the top maybe but evidence that clients don't like it.

Fair enough, but....

2 of the people that have applied don't have as much experience as the client would ideally like and both have indicated they are in a gig and we would have to wait the notice period.
                      and why on earth did they do that? Whether you are currently in a gig or not is non of the (potential) new client's concern. The only concern is "I am available from X date", nothing more. Maybe you are in a current gig but that's the end date of the contract, thus no "jumping ship"?

It would be interesting to know what your client would think if those 2 contractors hadn't indicated that they would be "jumping ship" in order to join your client.

Comment

Working...
                      X