• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All Inclusive Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Inclusive Rate

A post on the "Backdated VAT" thread mentioned agents saying "all inclusive rate", and I've just twigged to a conversation I had with an agent this afternoon.

Agent: good afternoon meridian, I'm calling about the role I sent the email to you about, the one in Switzerland.
    Me: yeah, thanks for that, but I'll be sticking to London as a location for family reasons.
    Agent: no problem, I'll just update your file here. When are you next available? And is your rate range still x00 to y50?
    Me: current contract ends shortly, and that rate range is correct depending on client and location.
    Agent: and that's all inclusive?

Now, I assumed here that he was talking about expenses, so I blathered on about local travel being included but cross-site and international travel was charged back to the client. But on reflection it seems likely that he was asking in a roundabout way whether the rate was VAT-inclusive, without actually saying so.

Something to be careful of and get clarified if it comes up again.

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    A post on the "Backdated VAT" thread mentioned agents saying "all inclusive rate", and I've just twigged to a conversation I had with an agent this afternoon.

Agent: good afternoon meridian, I'm calling about the role I sent the email to you about, the one in Switzerland.
    Me: yeah, thanks for that, but I'll be sticking to London as a location for family reasons.
    Agent: no problem, I'll just update your file here. When are you next available? And is your rate range still x00 to y50?
    Me: current contract ends shortly, and that rate range is correct depending on client and location.
    Agent: and that's all inclusive?

Now, I assumed here that he was talking about expenses, so I blathered on about local travel being included but cross-site and international travel was charged back to the client. But on reflection it seems likely that he was asking in a roundabout way whether the rate was VAT-inclusive, without actually saying so.

Something to be careful of and get clarified if it comes up again.
    I have often worked cross-border and I have never heard that. IME it has always meant what you thought it meant: no nasty surprises for the agent.

BTW my one caveat in a case like that is to get the work site specified; so that there are no nasty surprise for you when they ask you to work in other places that you hadn't planned on.

Comment

I take all-inclusive to mean paying your own expenses. Not sure how VAT works for a UK ltd working in Switzerland though.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I'm sure I've seen this trick mentioned on here before.

I think anyone being asked "is that all inclusive?" would ask the agent what the meant anyway.

Comment

I would think it means expenses. not VAT. Anyway just to be sure, I always tell the agent my rate is xxx + VAT.

Comment

If ClientCo's whole business is any of the following then since they won't be VAT registered they cannot claim the VAT you charge back and so may be interested in an all-in (VAT inc) rate;

insurance, finance and credit
            education and training
            fund raising events by charities
            subscriptions to membership organisations
            selling, leasing and letting of commercial land and buildings - this exemption can be waived

Linky

That's my understanding based on the linky anyway. Happy to be wrong.

Comment

Along as it's not in writing then it can't be proven either way what either of you mean so I wouldn't worry about it.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                I would think it means expenses. not VAT. Anyway just to be sure, I always tell the agent my rate is xxx + VAT.
                If you really want to add such caveats then it should be: "£N + VAT, with N-day payment terms, subject to contract".

Of those the "+ VAT" is the least important IMHO. It must be explicit in the contract but is implied in informal negotiation.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  I take all-inclusive to mean paying your own expenses. Not sure how VAT works for a UK ltd working in Switzerland though.
                  You don't get to work through a UK Ltd on Switzerland.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    You don't get to work through a UK Ltd on Switzerland.
                    Fair enough; my comment still stands though - I take all-inclusive to be expenses, not taxes.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X