• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor knacker yard

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Helps to keep the cv at a readable length too.
    That as well keep it to 3-4 pages max anything else will be binned unless its a very technical role!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      That as well keep it to 3-4 pages max anything else will be binned unless its a very technical role!
      I thought everyone knew it was 2 pages max? ;p

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
        I thought everyone knew it was 2 pages max? ;p
        Nah, we just tell newbies that...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Some re-assuring posts here so thanks. Ageism shouldn't matter as much contracting is what I'm getting here.

(Still sucks hitting 40 though.)

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            I am still contracting as a developer, and I'm 64. As SO says, there were not many when I started so there are damn few my age who have been devs all their lives.
            Oldest I've met is 55, absolutely loaded. If l was him i'd have retired by now but he loves to keep busy.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              ...and of course you started programming for leisure at the age of 13. At home. Nobody under 30 did that.
              ...quite possibly you stayed up all night programming for fun on a couple of occasions...
              ...as well as doing programming at school in your Computer Studies O level class...
              O level?

Did you use punch cards as well?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

In my first job (permie, 22), I shared an office with John, a contractor aged about, oh maybe 55. He seemed fine, was an experienced Unix admin. Quiet guy, efficient and (perhaps due to his age) good at handling people diplomatically. No worries.

Comment

O level?
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    O levels (Ordinary and Advanced) and CSEs were a rigorous form examination which once existed, before everybody started copying their "course work" off Google and exams were replaced by just giving everybody a massive candy floss.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                      O levels (Ordinary and Advanced) and CSEs were a rigorous form examination which once existed, before everybody started copying their "course work" off Google and exams were replaced by just giving everybody a massive candy floss.
                      unixman, you missed my point, I have 13 of the things .
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X