• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lost trust in my client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Given the complete ineffectiveness of a notice period (NLUK's favourite subject), then it's an interesting point.

If I've made the commitment (train bookings, accommodation, etc) then being compensated isn't that unreasonable. Equivalent of a call out charge in the trades. Probably won't happen but similarly being binned off with no notice isn't going to encourage me to go back somewhere.
    The fact you have to travel and use accommodation is not the clients problem though. (unless it is in the contract of course, which in most cases I think is unlikely)

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      The fact you have to travel and use accommodation is not the clients problem though. (unless it is in the contract of course, which in most cases I think is unlikely)
      No it isn't but each individual contract is a negotiation.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by oilyrag View Post
        Has anyone asked for future contracts to be signed now with cancellation clause's and payouts? Or should I just take the contract till Xmas and use the time to search for a new gig?
        This sounds plausible for a more senior role, they probably have this thing for Directors/CTO/CFO's on contracts. Take the renewal and start searching for a new gig if you feel you won't be renewed after XMAS

Comment

I know everyone uses the term contractor but in Switzerland you are a temporary employee, you can always give notice and bugger off. No-one is going to sue you or withold payment if you leave before the end as you have employment rights. Just chat with the PM when you want to go and agree a leaving date.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Why worry?

If you are in Switzerland you don't need to worry. Either they keep their promise and extend the contract, or they don't and you get a grand a week from the RAV just as the ski season starts.

I can't see a downside.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
              If you are in Switzerland you don't need to worry. Either they keep their promise and extend the contract, or they don't and you get a grand a week from the RAV just as the ski season starts.

I can't see a downside.
              This assumes that the OP is resident on a 'B' permit

If he's on a temporary contract he'll have an 'L' permit tied to his employment contract. If the contract is terminated he can apply to have the L permit extended while looking for work in Switzerland, but he's not entitled to Social Security

https://www.bfm.admin.ch/content/bfm...l_eu_efta.html

Comment

Working...
              X