• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Assumed extensions - when is it cool to tell client no thanks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assumed extensions - when is it cool to tell client no thanks?

I've got to be careful here, I can feel a bit of professionalism creeping in. Got to be careful.....

We've all been there. You've had a few extensions and both you and the client assume the next one is going to happen. They get a bit lazy about sorting it out etc.

Now normally when clients I don't like clients I have no issues telling them no thanks. This particular client has been pretty good to me BUT its miles away. If it was close to home I'd stay here forever but hey ho. This is all new to me - a decent client I like!

Got a sniff of a local gig which is literally 5 miles from home. To be honest, with my family situation its not cool me being so far away every day so this would be spot on.

BUT, and there must be something wrong with me, I'm beginning to feel guilty if I don't accept an extension.... :-)

However, so you don't all think I'm growing up and acting properly, it is more money too so I am still a bit of a mercenary tosser!

So come on - what would NLUK do?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

The best time to turn down an extension is when it is offered.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      This particular client has been pretty good to me BUT its miles away. If it was close to home I'd stay here forever but hey ho.
      Why don't you see if you can WFH some days?
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Just negotiate WFH two weeks a month, and stay there forever.

Comment

Now I would like to work from home forever. Bit of Jeremy Kyle in the morning, maybe Homes under the Hammer, maybe a kip in the afternoon. Bit of sunbathing in the garden naked in the summer.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Bit of sunbathing in the garden naked in the summer.
            I retract my suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              I retract my suggestion.
              I don't think he would be "allowed" in any case
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Now I would like to work from home forever. Bit of Jeremy Kyle in the morning, maybe Homes under the Hammer, maybe a kip in the afternoon. Bit of sunbathing in the garden naked in the summer.
                Finished reading there. You're worse than a permie. They talk about Big Brother. Get a grip, snap out of it and go and buy something expensive.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I never assume extensions will be offered.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I can't see you growing up. 4 years and 6k+ posts ago you can on here not being able make a simple decision for yourself based on your personal circumstances and here we are again. Nothing has changed.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X